PDA

View Full Version : Scratch X or #9?

absolude
10-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks to this site my Prelude is well taken care of.The problem is my 95 Integra that have endured pre-autopian mistakes.

The car has many swirls.I recentely clayed it.

I was thinking to use a swirl remover and use it by hand every time I wash it for a while untill it gets to a decent state.

I could only find #9 and Scratch X.Wich one would be better in my situation?

Also,should I use Zaino or something else untill the "treatment" is over?The winter is coming and I need protection.

If I was to use Zaino do I have to vash it with Down after using the scratch remover?

I don`t have a closed place to wash it so I will be able to work on it only once before winter.

Any ideas on what should be my strategy are welcome.

Jngrbrdman
10-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Scratch X isn`t really meant to be used on the entire car. It is great on small scratches here and there, but if you are going to try and use it on the whole car then I think that other products would be better suited.

#9 would work pretty well. Are you applying this by hand or by machine? If by hand then #9 would be the product you`d want to go with. Other products like 3M SMR or PI-II would wear your arm right off. They may be more effective on the swirls though. You might have to go over the car a couple times to get the swirls out if you are doing it by hand.

The only time you want to wash your car with Dawn is as the first step in your regiment. You should only do a Dawn wash when you are trying to strip everything off your car. There isn`t a need to do that between steps.

M-M
10-02-2002, 06:20 PM
I wouldn`t Zaino until your happy with the swirl removal. Otherwise the abrasives in the #9 or SMR will just remove the Zaino. Once you do decide to Zaino, I would Dawn wash to get the oils and fillers off of your paint which will help the Zaino adhere to the paint.

absolude
10-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Jngrbrdman,I`ll be doing it by hand.Still think I can see improvements using #9?

ERIK,I think I`ll wait with the Zaino untill I`m done with the swirls.

Meantime I`ll use the NuFinish I still have.Seems to last long but doesen`t look great and it appears to be a dirt trap.

I also have some clear coat peeling.Can that be stopped/corrected somehow?

Jngrbrdman
10-02-2002, 10:34 PM
You may see some improvements but you might have to go over the car more than once to get the results you want. It all depends on how bad the surface is and how well you work by hand. Scottwax is the real pro at working by hand. You should see some of the things he has done without a machine. ...Amazing.

absolude
10-03-2002, 05:24 PM
What is Scottwax ?Any internet store that has it?There are very few good products available where I live.

Jngrbrdman
10-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by absolude

What is Scottwax ?Any internet store that has it?There are very few good products available where I live.

LOL I guess I should have clarified. Scottwax is a member on the forums. ;) he isn`t a product.

rstype
10-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

he isn`t a product.

:p :D :) ;)

*big laugh*

imported_Intermezzo
10-03-2002, 06:26 PM
A 7 year old car that`s badly swirled up? SMR & Scratch-X don`t have a prayer of putting a dent in those swirls....unless you`re an insane detailer like Puterbum who likes to pull several all-night detailing sessions scrubbing away at his car. He has since come to his senses and uses something stronger. :)

If you`re going to detail by hand, you`re going to have to use something far stronger than SMR. I`ve had semi-decent results using 3M Fine Cut Rubbing compound (paste), followed by a swirl-remover. After the FCRC step, expect a relatively small amount of hazing or micro-swirls replacing the existing swirls. Work in small sections at a time. As Jngrbrdsaid, you might need to apply the compound 3-5 times to get the results you want (firm pressure on the first couple apps, very little pressure on the last couple apps). At this point, your swirls should be light enough to be removed by the SMR. The FCRC step alone took me almost the entire day. The SMR step takes 1-2 hours.

absolude
10-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Sorry Scottwax whoever you are.Still,if there isn`t a product with this name it should be invented!!

So,looks like major labour ahead.Since is hard to get good results by hand I think I`ll run a search into those machines.

The car is white and doesn`t look as bad as it actually is for the non autopian eyes.

There is some clear coat peeling off.Any cure for that?