PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Zaino from foam apps

imported_Ronin
10-02-2002, 05:03 PM
What do you guys use to clean your foam applicators? I have been using dawn, but the coloring from the Z polish remains on the applicator, making it appear dirty. Is this normal? Does this mean the applicator is clean, but the coloring in the Zaino poilish has stained the foam (no big deal). What do you guys use to clean your apps?

MikeLS
10-02-2002, 07:42 PM
DAWN won`t do much on Zaino.....I use alcohol and hot water. The alcohol cuts it out pretty quickly.

The coloring is normal though and it will almost always remain. It`s just an additive in the polishes and it`s no big deal if it remains stained on the app, as long as the majority of the polsih is removed.

Mike

:)

laynlow
10-02-2002, 08:48 PM
I clean all of my foam pads and applicators in warm water mixed with Dawn. I do an initial rinse that is very quick (fill the sink, squeeze em` out, and drain), then refill with fresh water and Dawn and let them soak. After they have soaked for awhile I do a through rinse and let em` air dry. I have never had any Zaino stain a pad, but have had other products leave minor stains. I don`t worry about that though. ;)

Ira
10-03-2002, 11:32 AM
I just discovered this method of cleaning applicators. Spray the polish on the applicator with a few squirts of Castrol Super Clean rub it in for a moment and then attack it with a hose on full blast. Got my applicator cleaner faster than any other method I`ve ever used. Super Clean comes in a big purple bottle, I paid $5.00/gallon at Pep Boys. Smells like industrial strength 409. I also use it for cleaning the engine on my bike, 10% the price of S-100 and seems to work about as well.

If you don`t have that, I`d try 409 or Simple Green as one of those might work also.

Ira

mmcclusk2
10-03-2002, 01:56 PM
I`d have to disagree with you on the Castrol. If you`re using it to clean your engine, I wouldn`t use it to clean applicators. I think if you check the label, it contains acids. Do you want acid on your paint.

Dawn and H-2-O works fine for me.

Ira
10-03-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by mmcclusk2

I`d have to disagree with you on the Castrol. If you`re using it to clean your engine, I wouldn`t use it to clean applicators. I think if you check the label, it contains acids. Do you want acid on your paint.

By the time it`s been hosed off and washed I`m guessing all the Super Clean is long gone.

Ira

shaf
10-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Ira

By the time it`s been hosed off and washed I`m guessing all the Super Clean is long gone.

Ira Interesting. Does this get out staining too? I used my friend`s green TW on his car on one of my apps and it stained it green. :mad: It took a LOT of work to get the green out and I tore it in the process...

Have you noticed the Castrol to hurt the glue holding the loop pad on? I think Castrol would be safe to use as long as it doesn`t hurt the pad and you rinse it out really thoroughly (like I do anyway).

Ira
10-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

noticed the Castrol to hurt the glue holding the loop pad on? I think Castrol would be safe to use as long as it doesn`t hurt the pad and you rinse it out really thoroughly (like I do anyway).

I didn`t know there was any glue on an applicator pad, none that I`ve ever used.

Ira

shaf
10-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Ira

I didn`t know there was any glue on an applicator pad, none that I`ve ever used.

Ira LOL!! You`re right! My mind is stuck in machine applicator-pad-land! :p

Unless you use some kind of wierd 2 piece apps like those EO express-it ones.