PDA

View Full Version : Does 3m IHG remove any paint/clearcoat?

claytons
10-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Is it safe to use every time I wax? 4-6 times/year?

Same question for p21s`s polish..

TIA!

medic
10-02-2002, 02:34 PM
IHG is mostly fillers, but does have some very minor abrasives so it may be removing a micorscopic amount of clearcoat. so yeah, 4-6 times a year should be fine.

if you are only going to wax that often, you may want to consider a plymer wax that will last longer. most waxes won`t last 2-3 months unless you QD the car regularly and aren`t driving it much. if you use a polymer wax, then no need to IHG

claytons
10-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Thx Medic.

I do use Zaino on my other cars, but this one is black and I really need the fillers for swirls. IHG and P21s really looks nice on the black and it`ll hold for about 8 weeks or so. I normally can avoid the rain in this car and use the duster and QD to try and go 2 weeks without washing.

clint
10-02-2002, 02:49 PM
you may want to try mothers sealer glaze- supposedly it has nothing but fillers and no abrasives, so it can be layered on top of wax without rubbing the existing wax off...

huh huhhh he said wax off.... huhh huhhh

imported_Intermezzo
10-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Claytons:

P21S GEPC can be used 4-6 times a year with no problems at all. It`s an extremely mild cleanser, but if you maintain your car very well, you shouldn`t need to use it more than a few times a year....perhaps when you start to notice any diminishment in shine.

Also, after testing both products for a while, I feel GEPC is superior to IHG in every way. It leaves a markedly better shine, is easier to work with, `seems` to contain a smaller percentage of solvents, & does a better job removing/filling small surface imperfections than 3M`s IHG. It also leaves a slicker surface, completely free of any streaks. In fact, after using GEPC, the shine is so good that after `sealing` it with P21S carnauba it`s not that easy to notice any difference.

claytons
10-02-2002, 03:15 PM
Intermezzo

Thanks for the info...I agree that the p21s lotion is VERY good. I just used that about 8 weeks ago. I`m really smitten, however, by the look of the IHG. It`s a 2002 black Porsche...I think it looks a bit better than the P21s lotion.

We`ll see after a wash or two!

RobD
10-02-2002, 04:57 PM
I`ve used the GEPC for many years and have always thought it a great product. IHG works well also, but does seem to leave alot more filler/spreader residue left over. I recently tried Pinnacle`s paint cleanser (admittedly only once on a small area) and feel it`s very comparable to GEPC - I like it. Of course GEPC does mostly the same thing for half of the price.:xyxthumbs I also like Porsche`s Paintwork Polish, it`s not overly expensive (about $7 a bottle) and works well - seems to have slightly more filling effect than either GEPC or Pinnacle, without the excessive residue of IHG.