PDA

View Full Version : Silly QD Question

PAW
10-01-2002, 10:29 PM
When I QDed my car with FI and a MF towel to remove some light dust, the thought cross my mind "Could I use a spray of distilled water instead of FI with the MF towel to safely remove this dust?" What`s you folks thought? The MF towel is supposed to pick up dirt and pull it down into it`s fiber.

Jngrbrdman
10-01-2002, 10:33 PM
You could I guess... You could wash your car with just water and no soap as well. The thing that a QD does that normal water doesn`t do is float the dirt on top of the liquid so you can wipe it off without it scratching your car. Kind of like how the soap in the water you wash your car with lifts the dirt off your car. If you use just water then you`ll be making mud instead of safely removing dust. That`s just my theory though.

The other benefit of a QD is that some of them actually improve the looks of your car. I use the Platinum QD and I love that stuff. It leaves a sparkle to the car everytime I use it. Some other QDs contain Carnuba that will also improve the apperance. There is more to a QD than just getting the dust off your car.

qsfanzone
10-01-2002, 10:40 PM
You might try that but I’m not sure it will not scratch your paint/clearcoat. The reason behind using FI or any other QD is the same reason you use a good soap to wash your car. The FI formula is designed to trap the dust particles allowing the MF towel to safely draw them up away from the paint/clearcoat surface the same way your car soap does when you wash. I’m sure others have their opinion but if I believe in my soap, then I have to believe in my FI QD.

SergC
10-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Purpose of any QD is lubrication, which helps to take the dust off:wavey

shaf
10-02-2002, 12:35 AM
I`m with serg. The QD has lubricants so that dirt that you move around won`t scratch. That`s also why QD is used as clay lube. QD also puts down a coat of.... stuff :nixweiss .... that adds slickness and rejuvenates the shine. If I`m wiping down the car I don`t know why I wouldn`t use QD.

It`s also not very expensive for the number of uses you get out of a bottle (depending on how liberally you use it), especially if you`re just using over the counter stuff.

AMP01
10-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Right now my favorite QD is Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl.

I use it after waxing and inbetween. I just love the stuff! I really think it makes my car look its best all the time.