PDA

View Full Version : Polishing plastic taillights/headlights?

d_o_a96
10-01-2002, 04:49 PM
What is out there to use, can i use SMR? Also, can i use SMR on clearcoated wheels?

Bobby G
10-01-2002, 05:16 PM
CMA has a new plastic polishing kit that`s killer. Last time I was in Tampa, I watched Terry polish a minivan headlight cover that was yellow and opague to nearly perfect condition. I was amazed at how well the polish and buffing wheel worked.

db

laynlow
10-01-2002, 07:07 PM
The pictures on CMA`s site are impressive! I have not tried to restore a lens in that condition, but the Meguiars plastic cleaner and polish have maintained mine in like new condition.

Here are the links:

http://www.properautocare.com/plaslenclean.html

http://www.properautocare.com/meg1708.html

kbshadow
10-01-2002, 07:33 PM
A while back one of the Sunday Hot Rod programs had a how to on polishing the headlights and tail lights.

They used Mothers Plastic Polish and it turned out great.

I got some and it worked on my Cruiser and Dakota as good as it did on the car they were detailing on the program.

The car they were using on the program was a PT Cruiser that belongs

to Forrest who helps us on this forum all the time.

It was his stock Cruiser not his custom 325+ HP V6 one.

shaf
10-01-2002, 11:40 PM
I bought Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover at a plastics shop and used it with a terry cloth. It polished up my 10 year old tail lights nicely. Some of the more difficult scratches came out with a bit more work and I`m pleased with the "cut rate" of the product. I followed up with Novus #1, a runny protectant/cleaner, which I owned already.

If you have an older car with scratched up lenses, it`s simply amazing the difference polishing them can make. It took me a while to figure out why my car`s rear end didn`t look as nice as the pics in the old sales brochures! :)

thegeek
10-02-2002, 08:57 AM
I use Meguiars Plastic Cleaner and Meguiars Plastic Polish.

00maxgle
10-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Novus #2 Fine Scratch Remover followed by Novus #1 Plastic cleaner and polish have done a great job for me. I picked it up at my local Harley Davidson dealer.

The link for product info is: www.novuspolish.com

imported_Aurora40
10-02-2002, 11:27 AM
I got the CMA polishing kit and it worked fine. It`s sort of hard to control the little pad on a drill, though. But it worked well. That Renovo stuff doesn`t smell that great, but the headlights look much better. It got rid of the haze, but all the little divots and dings are still there (as I would expect). Plus, it comes with a Viper glass cleaning MF and some Plexus. I thought that was kind of nice because those I can use all the time. The polish I hopefully won`t need to use again.

jello_g
10-03-2002, 08:02 AM
I encountered headlights that were slightly hazed (no scratches though). At the time I misplaced my #10 and #17 so I made a couple of passes with #9 v2 with a foam pad and it came out sparkling and clear. :up