PDA

View Full Version : newbie claying question

imported_matthew
10-01-2002, 04:21 PM
i just bought the Mother`s clay bar kit as I have some junk (maybe sap, maybe something else) on my hood of my car, and washing woudlnt` get it off.

It included some QD spray, the clay and some wax.

I`m auctally kind of confused what to do, the directions aren`t too clear.

It says to first wash and dry the car (or in this case just the hood).

Then wet it with the QD spray the area i`m goign to clay.

It says rub the clay back and fourth and I will be able to hear it removeing it?

Then I wipe off the excess QD spray and continue.

Do I have to rewax after I do this? I sure hope not, if I do have to do it though, do I rewax the whole hood or just the areas I `clayed`?

I really don`t want to mess this up, Its a black car and I was about to take it to the car wash yesterday as I couldn`t get this stuff off when I washed it the other day.

Thanks

clint
10-01-2002, 05:27 PM
When I use the mothers kit, I use an old spray bottle like 409 came in or the like with a couple of spoonfulls of car wash soap and the rest water as lube. Save the quick detailer to use as quick detailer..

You need to wash the car off anyway after clay-ing so the soapy water is fine.

The only way you can botch with the clay is if you drop it on the ground and sand and stuff gets in it, or you don`t use enough soapy water, and the clay sticks to the paint. The clay will come off pretty easy with some solventy stuff, like hand glaze or probably just soapy water and a rag.

I just squirt with the bottle in one hand and clay with the other- you can feel it hit stuff on the paint- mostly on the areas where bugs would splat, like the front of the hood.. You`ll get the hang of it easily..

You really can hear it- especially the first time the car is done..

Look at the clay often and make sure nothing is imbedded in there, and if so pick it out. Wad the clay up and mash it around so as to fold the dirt and keep a clean surface out to rub against the paint..

mrdetailer
10-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Last spring I decided to clay without stripping the wax like I usually do. Not recommended IMO. Wax kept coming up in the clay bar requiring much more folding than usual.

I not only wash with Dawn, but put on a wax remover such as 3M Tar and Wax remover, or Kleen Strip surface Prep so that all I have to remove are the actual particles stuck into the paint.

It`s really easy to use a clay bar, just use plenty of lubricant, or a pint spray bottle of water with 2 tablespoons of car wash soap. spray both the surface and the clay bar (flattened to fit in your finger tips. Go over a 2 X 2 Ft area in many directions and wipe. If it still feels rough repeat. After the initial clay bar, if you do it regularly, you should only have to do most areas once.

It`s pretty amazing stuff. Love the clarity and the mirror smooth feel.

I don`t use the cleaner wax. No durability.