PDA

View Full Version : Scraped/scratched under neath my bumper

imported_batmanrobbie
10-01-2002, 11:56 AM
I pulled into a parking space and slightly hit the curb putting some nice scratches on the under side of my bumper (only the passenger side). My car is a benz with a AMG skirt in the front. I`m assuming it`s made from fiber glass, but is there anything that can be done to fix the deep scrathces (I can definetly feel them with my fingernail). You can`t really see them, unless you get on your knees but it`s driving me crazy...I`m so pissed off, I never pull all the way in.

Any suggestions? I`ll try to get some pictures.

clint
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
You can use JB weld as filler in the scratches- it sands about the same rate as the glass resin- then do the normal touch up thing..

Usually you can smooth it to 90% right while it is settin up by using your finger wet with soapy water to smooth it. Then after it cures, sand it some.. Good way to fill bashed rims too- so long as they are painted wheels.

But as soon as you get it fixed- it`ll happen again... If it were me anyway..

Lemonxxs
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Body shop.....for proper repair...you could hide them with some touchup paint but it will not look correct....

Pics will help though

imported_batmanrobbie
10-02-2002, 02:19 PM
How do you shrink the size of a picture?

My jpeg files are to large

johnson
10-02-2002, 02:34 PM
Do you have any image editing software? You can probly try MS Paint.

MS Paint>Image>Attributes

Nagchampa
10-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Definitely take it to a bodyshop man! If you drive a Benz, the last thing you want to do is a half a$$ed repair on it. If you want to save a few $ take the air dam off and bring it to a repair shop.

They probably won`t charge you as much for the fix. The part is probably polyurethane or abs plastic I can`t see AMG using fiberglass spoilers.

The shop will probably just feather the scratch with #400 sandpaper then repaint. Be sure they use a flex agent in the paint to prevent flaking paint in the future.

imported_batmanrobbie
10-02-2002, 03:14 PM
I most likely will just take it to the shop.

The scrathces are pretty minor after I looked at it again and you almost have to lay on the floor to see them but they still bother me.