PDA

View Full Version : how to wash cotton towels?

unclefester660
09-30-2002, 07:20 PM
OK, before I run out and buy some great blue towels, I want to get more use of my new cotton towels. I`ve recently purchased a pressure washer and find it works great on my black CR-V. After a thorough spraying, I use a `California Water Blade` to remove most of the water. Then I use 2 of my 100% cotton towels (18" x 18"), one in each hand to wipe down the vehicle. However, the towels usually end up catching grime when I get to the final area around the wheels and tires. I finish there. Now I have 8 dirty towels I`d like to bring back to clean and new. Can I just wash them in the washing machine and dry (sans fabric softener or sheet)? Can I use bleach to help get them white again?

Jngrbrdman
09-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Depending on the type of grease that is on them, they may never be white again. You can try pouring a can of Coke into the washing machine with the detergent. That tends to help loosen the grease. I haven`t ever used bleach on my white towels because I only use them on the tires and places like that. I figure that they are just going to get black again, so why bother? :p

thevolvoguy
09-30-2002, 08:19 PM
I agree with Jngr. I have seperate towels for wheel wells, and tires, etc... I usually use those cheap towels that say they are 100% cotton, but turn out to be a cotton poly blend. (The kind you find in big bags for like $4 at Target)

Oh and once those white towels are black, theyre black. Just wash them a few times by hand, or in the machine and if they seem mostly clean, then use them for the wheels or windows, and if they magically come out good as new (ya, right) then woo hoo... put them to use. Good Luck! :wavey

PakShak
09-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Hello Wayne,

I have heard people who had some success with a mixture of 50/50 Oxiclean and laundry detergent. You might want to give that a try.

With Aloha,

Ranney

mrdetailer
09-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Once the cotton towels are dirty I wash the dirtiest and greasiest initially by hand using Dawn liquid, It`s a major grease remover and works well for items used to remove wax. I then wash all of the towels three times using hot water and a liquid detergent that doesn`t contain any fabric softener. Twice in the prewash-presoak cycle, and a final one with a full wash. This generally works well. Most towels can be used repeatedly. But all eventually begin to turn gray or brown. That`s when I use older towels to wash and wipe off from the wheel well areas, and for floor spills.