PDA

View Full Version : First black car - need advice!!

roller5435
09-30-2002, 04:10 PM
I know this has probably been asked a hundred times, but if some of you have extreme patience, I`d appreciate the help.

I`ve read all the detailing articles at carcarespecialties.com as well as many here at Autopia and at properautocare.com. I`ve just begun searching the threads, but am still a bit overwhelmed.

Two months ago, I bought a 2003 VW Jetta, and it`s my first black car. Before now, I`ve always had white cars which are more forgiving. Before too much more time passes, I want to make sure I`m doing the right things to keep my paint showroom perfect. :confused:

Can someone give me advice on caring for a (new) black car?? It`s a daily driver, parked in the garage at home and work. I`m anal about having a clean car, but not to the point where I enjoy waxing it very often. I have questions like these:

- I`ve been using One Grand Blitz wax. Am considering changing to P21S or Zaino. What is recommended for ease of application and decent durability?

- What should I be doing between waxing? Anything other than washing and drying?

- Should I take a clay bar to it now? What if I can`t feel any grit on the surface?

- What is good for removing waterspots on the paint? On the windows?

Primarily I want to make sure I`m doing what I can to keep the paint in good condition and am not doing anything to cause swirl marks, or seal in imperfections, etc.

Thanks in advance! I praise those that take the time to help a newbie! :bow :bow

shaf
09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
My car is worse than white - it`s silver. ;) So I could probably drive through mud and not have anyone but myself notice.

But my clueless friend has a black car, and I can say that you have to be as anal as possible about it. Make sure you use safe washing techniques and avoid rubbing/touching the car when it`s dusty. In between washings or waxings you can use QD and MF towels to keep it looking good and clean. I also recommend a CCD to dust it off before QDing.

Zaino will be more durable than any of the waxes mentioned, and since it`s liquid it will be easier to apply as well.

Use clay if you think it needs it, but if it seems glassy smooth already then don`t.

Waterspots might go away with a pre-wax cleaner or paint cleanser, but it depends on how serious they are and if they are just residues that can be removed with vinegar, or oxidized spots from acid rain. If they`re serious you might try a oxidation remover from 3M or (maybe) Turtle Wax`s Color Back. On glass, if vinegar or other cleaners won`t take water spots out I used Autoglym Glass Polish on a friend`s windows. It was a lot of work, but they polished out nicely. (I actually didn`t finish and am waiting to get my PC.)

Remember, keep everything surgically clean and dust free (your supplies as well as the car), and if there`s standing rain on the car, hose it down before calling it a day at the very minimum to prevent corrosive water from concentrating on the paint. That is what happened to my friend`s car and it (still) has moderate etching from this.

roller5435
09-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tips. I`ve always been just a basic wash and (carnuaba) wax guy. But after a lot of reading here, I`m really tempted by Zaino or Klasse. Seems like a lot of folks really love the results.

Lots to read...lots to read...

AMP01
10-01-2002, 12:50 AM
You might want to try Klasse AIO as a base and top it with P21S/S100 wax. It makes a great combo!

Cheers,

clint
10-01-2002, 07:23 AM
for me the greatest help in keeping my black car black (I think my a6 has the same paint your jetta does) is to use glaze right before the wax goes on.

3m Imperial hand glaze also does a great job of removing waterspots..

But i`m sure mothers sealer glaze or mcguires would too. Glaze just gets the paint super-clean and prepped with light oils or something (imperial hand glaze uses castor oil and glycerine plus some other stuff) to give the paint a `wet look` - I guess because the paint is wet with a super thin layer of oily glaze.. Then the wax seals that in..

If you have just been washing and waxing- you will be amazed the difference the glaze makes..even to perfect new paint.

I bought a quart of imperial hand glaze for 20 dollars at a body shop supply store.

I haven`t tried any thing but carnauba type waxes on the black as far as wax goes- mostly because of what this guy said about german paints-

http://carcareonline.com/howto_articles.html

I`m not sure which link it was on that page- that guy is a big fan of blitz.

Oh and many vw dealers think they are doing you a favor by washing your car when you take it in for warranty service- don`t let them do that! Tape notes all over the place saying NO WASH.. Best may be on the drivers door glass with the writing facing out so when the car is approached they can see it.

At one dealer I went to, their wash service was to run it though an automatic thing like gas stations use with those dread flap wheels. I`m still finding marks made by that damn thing..

Gatorfan
10-01-2002, 07:40 AM
I`m a member of the black car club, and I started behind the 8 ball by having dealer installed swirls put in even before I owned the car. After a lot of experimenting with glazes and such, I decided a PC was the way for me to go. I needed some practice to get the proper technique down and soon was able to remove almost all swirls using the CMA yellow pad, FI-II, and SMR. I tried BF and liked it somewhat, but then I moved to Z. Z5 really did help fill some very minor imperfections well and after a few coats I was really happy.

I was content on sticking to Z5, but I figured I bought some Z2 so I might as well try it. I soon became addicted to the shine it gave. I love the silvery shimmer it gives, but some people don`t. I guess it`s all up to personal preference. I think Z is a fairly easy system to use and it shouldn`t be too labor intensive unless you`re a crazed 2-3 layers/week applier like me.

Good luck and just keep in mind that some things will be unfixable. Sometimes you fix one thing only to find another problem. That`s living with a black car, especially a daily driver. Do the best you can, and I`m sure you will enjoy the dark richness that only a well detailed black car can provide :wavey.

roller5435
10-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by clint

I haven`t tried any thing but carnauba type waxes on the black as far as wax goes- mostly because of what this guy said about german paints-

http://carcareonline.com/howto_articles.html

I`m not sure which link it was on that page- that guy is a big fan of blitz.

A few years ago, when I bought my Boxster, I read ALL the articles at Car Care Specialties - so I got the basic detailing process down. And because of those articles, I used One Grand Blitz wax like you.

However, there seems to be some discrepencies compared to Autopia suggestions. I`ll have to go back and read the stuff to find it, but I *seem* to recall him suggesting you stay away from Clay bars. AND he says he doesn`t really believe all-in-one products can really work well (arguing that you can`t have a product strip a protectant and apply a protectant in the same application).

Yet, people here SWEAR by clay bars and promote AIO products like Klasse. So I`m pretty confused.

But until I get that cleared up, at least I know the basics (don`t reuse a mitt that`s been dropped on the ground, don`t wipe a dirty car, don`t let anyone else touch my car, etc.)

Oh - and I have gotten good results removing water spots with 3M imperial glaze. So I guess I`ll continue with that for now until I figure out everything else.

Keep the tips coming! :xyxthumbs

Lemonxxs
10-01-2002, 10:12 AM
You will need to experiment with different products...this is the only way to find what works best for you.

Have you read the E-book DAVID wrote? It is loaded with info to further confuse you :D ...kidding

I suggest searching on here about the different products...go back in the forum and read some older posts, read some newer posts...research research....then get out and play with some products....

Good Luck

roller5435
10-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks! I paid the $10 and am working my way through the eBook now. Almost done. I`m learning, researching, learning more...

What is not coming across that`s hard to find, are things like:

1. Are there any do`s or dont`s for "german paint". I`ve read that some products like german paint, whereas others don`t. But can`t seem to find a concensus in these posts.

2. Which products (wax vs. polymers, or zaino vs. klasse) favor black cars?

3. Which products favor newer paint that just needs to be maintained vs. repaired?

I know, I know...keep searching. ;) I am!!

Thanks for your help.

Lemonxxs
10-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Fireproof

Thanks! I paid the $10 and am working my way through the eBook now. Almost done. I`m learning, researching, learning more...

What is not coming across that`s hard to find, are things like:

1. Are there any do`s or dont`s for "german paint". I`ve read that some products like german paint, whereas others don`t. But can`t seem to find a concensus in these posts.

2. Which products (wax vs. polymers, or zaino vs. klasse) favor black cars?

3. Which products favor newer paint that just needs to be maintained vs. repaired?

I know, I know...keep searching. ;) I am!!

Thanks for your help.

1. NO truth to this myth about German paints...German car manufacturers use the same products as others...this is searchable and I think ANDRE` has commented on this before.

2. All....what are you looking for here? shine, protection, swirl hiding, ...... how much time a month are you willing to spend?....this cannot really be answered.

3. If you have no swirls than avoid products with abrasives.....

Keep searching and reading....the detailing madness is out there:D

shaf
10-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Fireproof

However, there seems to be some discrepencies compared to Autopia suggestions. I`ll have to go back and read the stuff to find it, but I *seem* to recall him suggesting you stay away from Clay bars. AND he says he doesn`t really believe all-in-one products can really work well (arguing that you can`t have a product strip a protectant and apply a protectant in the same application).

Yet, people here SWEAR by clay bars and promote AIO products like Klasse. So I`m pretty confused.

Ugh. :down I went and clicked your Carcareonline link and remembered who that is. Hit the search button and search for the word "larry" who owns carcareonline and you`ll find many (including me) disagree with a lot of what he says. He says things like "clay is abrasive", "orbital buffers cause swirls", and from his paintcare article he says "glazes remove swirls" and "compounds are like coarse sandpaper". :rolleyes: both these statements are untrue or misleading. Not everything he says is wrong, but take his advice with a grain of salt. His site is actually the LAST place I`d send a newbie to learn stuff.

Having said that, clay must be used with enough lube, but virtually everyone here who has used it says it is safe. When I clayed my friend`s black car I didn`t notice any additional damage FWIW, but then again he had lots of swirls already. Also, yes he is right about "one step" products that they have the strange job of cleaning and protecting at the same time, but that that is not to say that they are useless. Cleaner waxes DO leave protection behind, and Klasse AIO is not so much a one-step stand alone process (even though it can be used that way with reduced durability), but AIO is the cleaner step that precedes Klasse SG - the "real" heart of the Klasse system. You do AIO basically to prep the paint for 1000 or so layers of SG. :D

clint
10-01-2002, 03:25 PM
I`m glad you mentioned carcareonline and some of the stuff there-

I thought for the longest time I was not using IHG right, as carcareonline dude says it is what he removes light scratches with.

It just don`t remove scratches at all I`ve found. It will do wonders for how the paint looks, but rubbing compound, it isnt..

I`ve also been scared to use synth wax on my black car due to that-

again, all I have to do is try a spot and see-- it might be great..

maybe long ago when the things on there were written, the german paint was different.. I do think they went water-borne before many other makers- maybe that has something to do with it..

I guess having your own site doesent make you always the last word.

--- the biggest boost to the looks of my cars was when I started using glaze before the wax.. and the carcareonline site was where i first heard of glaze- so I sort of have `feelings` for that site..:p

roller5435
10-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Ahh - thanks for the added comments. One thing that sways me is the tons of users on this forum that support things such as clay bars (versus the word of one guy at car care online).

So, I`ll have to test my cars for the need for clay bar - both are fairly new. But it may be worth doing just in case.

So now the question is do I keep doing the typical clean, glaze, carnauba wax process, or do I convert to the Klasse world?

Hmm..

imported_wyatt072
10-01-2002, 04:08 PM
I can tell you guys this. I have a 330ci and have just applied Klasse for the first time. Process was

Wash

Clay

AIO x1

SG x1

Wow! What a shine. I also did not experience any of the so called Klasse hazing. My SG layer was so thin that I didnt think I had even applied it. I will be adding 3 more coats of SG then my p21S as a topper.

Questions for everyone with Klasse hazing....was any microfiber products used in the application/removal process? I used 100% cotton in my application/removal of SG. Is there a correlation?

maxshine
10-01-2002, 05:09 PM
I finally noticed what I `assume` is hazing. I had about 6 coats of SG and decided to go to Blitz. After my first coat I noticed a spot on my hood but figured I just didn`t buff the Blitz off good - so what, I get that with the next wash. A month later my second coat of Blitz revealed the same thing and it was very difficult to buff out.

I`m not sure what to try now.

Va. drought - it sucks washing at spray car washes!