PDA

View Full Version : 28 year old British paint

troutski
09-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Hello all,

I`ve tried several search combos, but get nothing useful, so...

I have a 1974 Jensen Healey that has it`s original paint. It is an odd `70`s yellow. After reading up in the "book" and doing my first detail (washed, clayed and waxed) I was a little dissapointed by the lack of "shine".

Used a Mother`s kit (clay, carnuba and speed detailer).

As this is an original car < 50,000 mi, and the paint is in VG condition, I don`t want to make any mistakes...

Car has been garaged since new is the SF Bay Area.

I`d say minor swirling, not much orange peel, just kind of dull.

Suggestions to make the old girl shine?

Thanks,

Mark

caddyman
09-01-2002, 01:05 AM
you will need a swirl remover, if it is only minor oxidatoin and swirling, I would recomend 3m`s SMR. Will you be using it by hand or with a PC or rotary?

troutski
09-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Yes, I happen to have a PC that I bought for something else. Also, just bought a pad kit from Classic.

I have NEVER used the PC on a car....

Mark

drewski59
09-01-2002, 01:55 AM
Search for PC and you`ll find everything you`ll need!;)

Personally, I would use Meguiars D/A Cleaner/Polish(Pro line), followed by some s100 wax.

This will give that baby the shine it deserves!:xyxthumbs

:wavey

imported_Tony
09-01-2002, 02:46 AM
I think you need to glaze to get the shine you want.. Mothers makes a good glaze/sealer that would really aid in the shine. You can use the SMR with the PC but to follow up and get the shine you are after glaze then top the glaze with S100. BTW you can find S100 at some motorcycle shops.

Brad B
09-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Take a look at the links below and look at the pics of my Jag XK 150. It also has original paint. Over 40 years old. It was looking almost dark grey when I found it.

I used 3M Fine Cut Polishing Compound to get started. This got through the first layers of dirt and deep scratches very quickly. I used a high speed buffer and also by hand.

Next I did several applications of 3M Finesse It II. This is an even finer polishing compound. I worked this a lot to get more scratches out and bring the color and luster to it`s final shine. You`re car is like mine with no clear coat if it has original paint. You will have to guage how far you can buff. Each time you buff you are taking off paint. I went pretty far but it made a HUGR difference and the paint was of high quality and very hard and in great shape as you can see.

I highly recommend 3M products as their quality is superior that anything else available at places like WalMart, etc.

troutski
09-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks folks...

Nice Jag....

Mark

`73 Volvo 1800 ES

`74 Jensen Healey

`00 V70 Volvo

`02 WRX