PDA

View Full Version : New leather protection

DSOM
08-31-2002, 09:35 PM
Doing some searching, I came across multiple recommendations

for leather care products -- cleaners, conditioners.

However, my question is regarding the new leather on a

1 day old car: are there any products similar to Scotchguard,

but for leather. The idea is to pretect it from the enviroment.

I imagine something like this has to exist -- they sure sell

plenty of this things in spray cans in leather clothing stores.

Not sure however that those are appropriate for the

leather used in automotive industry.:nixweiss

BoxsterCharlie
08-31-2002, 10:31 PM
Interesting question. I haven`t heard of anything like that...and I would guess that anything which truly seals the leather might also have the undesireable effect of stiffening it.

Most everyone uses Lexol conditioner and is happy with it. I think it repeals stains since it keeps the pores of the leather nice and oily (for lack of a better word). And naturally an oily or waxy surface will repel dirt and fluids.

Let us know if you find anything, though! Intriguing to have have a literally brand-new car to protect, eh?

-Charlie

caddyman
09-01-2002, 12:58 AM
3m does have a scotchguard leather protector, but id bet like bocterC said would give undesireable results.

NGB34747
10-01-2002, 04:10 AM
For the shift knob and Steering wheel, what should I use?

Would Lexol cause the surface to be too slippery?

ice_nyne
10-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Jonney - I just cleaned and conditioned my leather interior (shift knob included) with Pinnacle`s leather cleaning products. I loved the results. It has a non-greasy, matte finish, so it helps give the leather a "natural" look, instead of some fakey, Armor-All looking shine. Good luck.

ice_nyne

AkronSi
10-03-2002, 09:07 AM
I use the Klasse Vynal, Rubber, Leather Protectant (or whatever it`s real name is). It goes on very easy and isn`t to greasy or shiny.