PDA

View Full Version : Horrible experience at AutoInt-certified detailer (long)

Pages : [1] 2

KWANG-SEOK
08-31-2002, 08:20 PM
For those of you who have been following this (http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14584) thread and this (http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14640) thread, I took my Corvette to my local AutoInt-certified (as in Ron Ketcham`s AutoInt) detailer today. I also brought along the Tech Tip from Autoint.com that describes the procedure necessary to polish etching out of glass. Mind you, I informed the detailer twice on the phone and once in person that my car is a show car and I`m very picky about its appearance and care -- hence the effort I put forth trying to get the glass hazing fixed in the first place. Anyway, I gave the procedure to the technician, and away he went. To his credit, he did tell me upfront that he might not be able to fix the problem (he didn`t), and he didn`t charge me for the 20 minutes of his time that I took. However, what bothered me about this experience wasn`t the fact that he didn`t fix my problem, but the way in which he cared for my car. He leaned on the car in three different spots (not really a big deal) while he was assessing and attempting to fix the problem. The worst part, however, was after he finished buffing the glass. Naturally, when using a rotary buffer, one expects compound to get slung onto adjacent body panels. However, he used the filthiest towel known to man to wipe off the excess compound. This towel was so dirty that I briefly thought that it was actually a brown towel! Not only that, but the towel was dropped on the ground and subsequently used to wipe down the car twice. Basically, he made a complete mess of the entire passenger side of my car, and I`ve spent the last six hours (no kidding) returning it to its former self.

I am disappointed in the fact that this particular detailer was listed as AI Gold-certified on Automotive International`s website. It is now fairly obvious to me that just because a company is AI-certified there is no guarantee that the company will conduct their business or services in a manner consistent with the Automotive International training. I don`t mean to slam Ron per se, as I still feel that he would`ve done a superior job with my car. It`s just upsetting that his trainees don`t uphold his high standards. Heck, if you can`t entrust your car to be cared for properly at a professional detailer, where can you take it?

imported_RIC
08-31-2002, 08:47 PM
This Certification is meaningless. These guys pay $$$ to attend some seminars and have their name posted in the directory. They are not formally tested to see if they understand and can do what they learned. Each detailer gets out what they put into it.

There are some good professional detailers out there. The best way to find one is by word of mouth recommendation from someone who is as anal about their cars appearance as you are.

KWANG-SEOK
08-31-2002, 09:28 PM
I knew I shouldn`t have been so gullible...in fact, as I was driving to the detail shop, I thought to myself, "Is this gonna be worth it?" At least I was able to correct what the detailer did to my car. I was scared $hitless after I saw that blackened towel touch my paint. I just can`t believe the car wasn`t screwed up worse.

Well, despite all this, it`s also pretty clear that there`s no easy way to fix the hazing on my glass. Fortunately, it`s pretty minor...I honestly think that there`s something wrong with the glass (as Sal Zaino suggested) because the detailer did follow Ron`s Tech Tip to no avail. I`ll probably just bring up the hazing problem the next time I have to visit the dealer...hopefully they can repair or replace it under warranty. Unless, of course, I can really find a good detailer I CAN TRUST in the Dayton, Ohio area. Any suggestions?? :)

imported_Intel486
08-31-2002, 10:52 PM
Did you call that detailer back and tell him about how you saw him using a dirty towel on your car, about the damage he caused to your paint, and how you won`t even recommend him to anyone ever? Probably should do that because maybe, hopefully, he`ll change his ways.

KWANG-SEOK
08-31-2002, 11:28 PM
No, I didn`t call him back, although I did call Ron Ketcham to tell him about my experience. To be honest, the towel-wiping happened so quickly I barely had time to react. I guess I just stood there, dumbfounded.

I guess I have to give credit to my slick Zaino finish, because there was only one small swirl mark from the black towel that required polishing out by me. My roof was affected the worst, but I already had planned on buffing that out anyway. You can bet that I went over the car with a fine-toothed comb (so to speak) when I got home, too. I still can`t believe the damage wasn`t worse. The only thing I can figure is that the towel was so soaked with grease that it provided a lot of lubrication for itself as it slid over my finish.

It still kills me that even after all this my glass isn`t even fixed. :rolleyes: I guess it`s a sign...next time maybe I won`t be so lucky.

KWANG-SEOK
09-01-2002, 01:32 AM
Ya know what? Now that I think of it, the detailer didn`t even follow the AutoInt Tech Tip instructions properly! The instructions clearly state that two different pads need to be used to remove glass etching, and the detailer only used on type of pad...a yellow lambswool pad. In other words, the more aggressive cutting pad was left out. I`m not sure it would`ve mattered, because (I think) he used the proper polishes as specified in the Tech Tip, and the process didn`t make one bit of difference in the hazing of the glass. Still, I`m surprised he didn`t follow the Tech Tip to the letter, especially since I handed it to him!!

shaf
09-01-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Schwa72

I am disappointed in the fact that this particular detailer was listed as AI Gold-certified on Automotive International`s website. It is now fairly obvious to me that just because a company is AI-certified there is no guarantee that the company will conduct their business or services in a manner consistent with the Automotive International training. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. :( It seems like this "AI Gold" certification is just like a mechanic`s "ASE certification" - ie, totally meaningless and he could still screw things up or give you the shaft. Is nothing worth the paper it`s printed on anymore? :down

I find it distressing that a so-called "professional detailer" would have habits such as leaning on your car and using filthy rags to wipe the paint - especially after how emphatic you were to him about the car`s show status! :nono I`m no pro detailer, but I bet I could kick his butt with good practices alone. He`s giving both AutoInt and pro detailing in general a black eye.

BradE
09-01-2002, 11:55 AM
Schwa72,

The cutting pad might have made a huge difference. See the Lambswool pad is a polishing and "finishing" pad, it has no cutting power. The clearcoat cutting pad on the other hand *might* have removed the marks and then it should have been polished further with the Lambswool. If he didn`t "cut" first then he didn`t complete about half of the TSB.

What products did he use? Did you tell Ron you might consider coming down to AutoInt?

KWANG-SEOK
09-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Showroom-

He used the two compounds listed in the TSB (I can`t remember their names off the top of my head). The logic I`m using is this -- certainly the combination of products he used (rotary buffer, lambswool pad, and abrasive compounds), although not optimal, was more aggressive than what I used to put the marks in the glass in the first place (Z-12, PC orbital, and foam pads). So, I would`ve expected the products he used to make some difference, but they did absolutely nothing.

I e-mailed Ron with pictures and a description of my problem before this experience and my wife called and left a message at the AutoInt 800 number afterward. I`m still willing to give it another go with Ron himself, but I think I`ll wait a few days to see if he returns any of my messages before I go any further. I`d like to speak to him on the phone and get his opinion first anyway before I drive all the way to Cincy.

Showroom, I don`t know what kind of terms you`re on with the AutoInt guys, but if you happen to speak to Ron in the next couple of weeks, would you mind mentioning this whole ordeal to him? I`m still very much interested in getting this problem fixed and would greatly appreciate his opinion on how to proceed.

BradE
09-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Showroom, I don`t know what kind of terms you`re on with the AutoInt guys, but if you happen to speak to Ron in the next couple of weeks, would you mind mentioning this whole ordeal to him? I`m still very much interested in getting this problem fixed and would greatly appreciate his opinion on how to proceed.

I will talk with him soon and see what is going on. I will try and find out next week. He might be out of town right now, I am not sure. But I will check and let you know soon.

:up

rstype
09-01-2002, 12:29 PM
If I`m not mistaken, he is in Miami, Florida visiting his son. I don`t know when he will be back though...

KWANG-SEOK
09-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Showroom & BW, thanks for the info and all the help!

2002camry
09-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Nice Vette!

Do you actually DRIVE this car or just store it all year around? I ask this since this does not look like a daily driver and if it is, it must take you hours to keep this car in that shape

KWANG-SEOK
09-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Do you actually DRIVE this car or just store it all year around? I ask this since this does not look like a daily driver and if it is, it must take you hours to keep this car in that shape

Good observation! Thanks for the complement! No, it`s far from a daily driver, but it`s not stored, either. I only drive it to Corvette events, cruise-ins, and when I want to go driving. You`d laugh at my daily driver...it`s a 1992 Dodge Caravan C/V (cargo van). It`s nice and rusty and dirty, which is great, because I only have the patience to keep up with one car. My wife`s car is a 2001 Acura 3.2 TL which is in as good as shape as possible since it lives outside.

Funny thing is...despite the fact that my Corvette isn`t a daily driver, it still takes me hours to keep it in that condition. I figure the novelty will wear off eventually, but I have had the car for a year, so I`m still waiting...

Hey, there are other folks around this forum whose pride-and-joys ARE their daily drivers...I have no idea how some of these folks keep their cars in the condition they do.

jkochis
09-01-2002, 08:26 PM
I like getting good results as much as the next guy...

That said, I think you need to blame yourself a bit here. Standing there and not saying a word is pretty lame. Even lamer to come on here and badmouth the place that you didnt have the nerve to say anything to at the time.

Not flaming here, but if you want good service in life, ya sometimes need a backbone.

Good luck complaining up the food chain.