PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to apply use S100 Carnauba wax

Pages : [1] 2

2002camry
08-30-2002, 08:17 AM
I am planning on putting a coat of s100 wax on my cars and i wanted to find out the best way to apply this. I plan of attack was as follows:

wash down car to remove dust and dirt

using a terry towel, apply a light coat of S100

using another terry towel, remove the s100 wax and buff off

Do I have to wait between applying and removing the wax? are terry towels the best way to apply this wax or should I use a soft sponge?

DigiDan
08-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Hey 2002 - S100 is awesome stuff!!! I originally purchased it for my Harley, and 2 years later tried it on my `01 Camry - awesome stuff, by far the best I have encountered yet.

I had a similar question about applying. My recommendation is to apply it to the car - say, do a section, wait for maybe a minute.....and then go back and buff it off. I was waiting too long, and it would be more difficult to buff, and the finish wasn`t as slick.

I`m doing my Camry tomorrow. Once you have a good coat or 2 on the car, you apply repeated coats to the whole care in about and hour.....quick and quality results.

Hope that answers your question!

RonPirate
08-30-2002, 09:20 AM
I get the best results from useing a foam wax applicator. The Viking ones they sell at Wal-Mart have a slot for your fingers so they dont fall out of your hand so easy. I find that the foam applicators make it easier to get an even thin film.

I think useing a terrycloth applicator wastes a lot of product and puts the wax on too thick.

All you need is a slight haze, dont let it fully dry. I usually do a panel and almost immediatly buff it out, but I also put it on very thin so it drys fast.

imported_memnuts
08-30-2002, 09:23 AM
I have used P21S, which is identical to S100 paste wax. I used the supplied sponge to apply and buffed off per directions immediately after covering a 3 x 3 ft section. I only use 100% cotton towels and they work very well for initial (majority of wax removal) buffing and final buff with a flannel cloth ( natural MF ). Very good carnuaba which I still use on my Lexus.:up :wavey

MikeLS
08-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Hey blkZ or anyone really,

How long are you guys waiting to buff the S100 off? I`ve found that it`s rather difficult and streaky on some surfaces, even after buffing after a minute or so. I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks,

Mike

:)

Mmmph
08-30-2002, 10:00 AM
I like the little applicator that comes with S100. I apply it to one panel (I split the hood and roof), set the jar down, pick up my MF and buff, buff, buff. Soooo easy. I can do my RX 300 in less than 30 minutes.

imported_memnuts
08-30-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Metallic Mike

Hey blkZ or anyone really,

How long are you guys waiting to buff the S100 off? I`ve found that it`s rather difficult and streaky on some surfaces, even after buffing after a minute or so. I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks,

Mike

:)

Mike, I agree that this wax will streak if not removed before drying completely. That is why I only apply to small areas (3`x3`) at a time and remove almost immediately. Also I apply indoors out of direct or indirect sunlight. P21S/S100 in direct sun :nono

shaf
08-30-2002, 03:34 PM
I personally don`t like the included applicator because it`s too thin. I use a Megs yellow applicator and like that because it feels more "substantial" and the foam cells are smaller. Ask around at auto parts and marine supply stores. At worst, you could try those blue one-sided foam pads they sell at Canadian Tire. The cells are inconsistent sized, but it`s still better than using a cloth to apply stuff.

I rub on a tiny bit of wax onto the app and spread it out really thin. The last time I did a coat I`ve been trying to see how much area I could do before having to go back and buff off. I just feel better if I`ve let the wax sit on there a bit I guess. :) How long you can let the wax sit totally depends on the temperature and humidity, so you just have to experiment. Take it off before it starts putting up resistance though!

DougNew
08-30-2002, 04:04 PM
If the applicator supplied with S100 is the same as the one that comes with P21S, I`d stick with that. I used it when I P21Sed my car and was happy with the results.

The wax should be applied lightly and evenly over a small section because you really do want to buff it out quickly (I say inside of a minute on a warm, low-humidity day out of direct sunlight). A good MF towel did the trick for removal, no problems.

I wonder how this stuff would look on top of a layer of Klasse (or Zaino?).

Scottwax
08-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Like 4DSC, I use the Meguiars foam hand applicators because the S100 applicator is too small and wimpy.

I normally apply it to two panels and then buff off with a MF towel. I tried applying it to the entire car like I would do with Souveran or #26...once. It wasn`t real hard to get off, but I did get some streaking. When I do just two panels at a time, it wipes off with no streaking.

RonPirate
08-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by C-Bear

I can show you what it looks like on Zaino when I get my pictures developed next week.

mrdetailer
08-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Like 4DSC, I use the Meguiars foam hand applicators because the S100 applicator is too small and wimpy.

I couldn`t agree more. I can spread a much larger area using a different brand of applicator. Make sure to wet the sponge then squeeze as dry as you can to make for a smoother application. CMA recommends a quick detailer for this process.

Brodydog
08-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by C-Bear

Take a look at my cardomain link - AIO x2, SG x3, P21S when pics were taken...I was pleased -- It deepened the Klasse...

Brodydog
08-30-2002, 11:33 PM
I must confess that I no longer detail my cars from the ground up (sheepish grin), but once my fellow does them, I will wash and QD them and add the occassional extra layer of wax. Also detail my wheels regularly.

That said, wash is P21s Auto Wash, QD is Pinnacle Crystal Mist (or Zymol Field Glaze).

On a Suburban and other vehicles, I find that P21S holds up under frequent commercial car washes. As a Klasse topper, durability is good for a daily driver.

shaf
08-31-2002, 02:55 AM
Although some may disagree, I don`t feel there is all that much difference between using brand A or brand B washes and QDs, as long as you like the products you`re using. Functionally most washes and QDs do pretty much the same thing, so if you already have car wash X and QD Y, and like them, I wouldn`t bother going out and buying more products for that reported extra 1% shine. Some QDs are different and more "tailored" though, like CM, Z6, and Sonus. My 3 or 4 cents. :)

That said, I use the blue Zymol Auto Wash and Mothers Showtime. Both selected for their performance in what they do and easy availability. I just bought a burgundy bottle of Meg`s QD but haven`t tried it yet.

Sorry, I can`t report on durability because I`m always throwing on a coat of something every 2 weeks or less. ;)