PDA

View Full Version : Paintjob cures when, exactly?

DougNew
08-30-2002, 01:58 AM
I`ve encountered numerous contradictory claims about whether or not you can detail a new car immediately following purchase. Essentially, the two schools of thought appear to be either that you can and it`s fine, or that the paint needs time to properly cure and set and only after that (about three months) can you safely detail the car.

My understanding is that advances in paint chemistry and factory painting methods have rendered the latter viewpoint obsolete and that any new car can be completely (and safely) detailed pretty much on arrival.

Furthermore, as far as I know, dealers detail all new cars upon arrival, and keep all lot cars detailed until sold (whereupon they detail them again for the new owner unless directed otherwise).

Too, it seems that driving a non-waxed car around for up to three months is a ridiculous risk that can result in permanent damage to your paint.

Bottom line: paint is fully cured by the time the dealer receives the new vehicle, and detailing is safe to do whenever you like.

Correct?

ultrajim49
08-30-2002, 02:41 AM
Good-day , C-Bear,

A new car`s finish IS cured , therefor you can apply wax or sealant on delivery.

There are members who FORBID the dealer to touch the car so they can detail it themselves for the first time.

New car = detail As Soon As Possible

The story is diffrent on a repainted car , let`s say after a chip & scratch repair.The spray-paint needs to dry & cure.

Most people here advice 90 days.

Have fun

Pic`s please

Greetings

Christiaan:wavey

imported_BretFraz
08-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Only the painter knows when the paint will be fully cured. If you are having custom paint done, or a repaint, follow the advice of the painter and ignore everyone else.

On new cars, the paint is usually cured by the time it leaves the factory. But it`s wise to follow the instructions in the owners manual, if stated.

imported_Intel486
08-31-2002, 01:58 PM
Like everyone else said, factory paint is cured when you purchase the car. Factory paint is actually baked onto the panel and is cured right there.

It depends on the repaint. Some bodyshops will pull panels and bake them for you. Most won`t though. It also depends on the type of paint they are using. You will have the follow the advice of the paint thoguh.