PDA

View Full Version : Bumper repaint?

2wheelsx2
08-29-2002, 04:42 PM
I have a `97 626 I bought used a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be an in-between vehicle until a get a new truck or car. But this thing is so cheap to run that I am thinking I would keep it for a daily driver. One thing irks me about it though. The vehicle was leased and then return, and the PO was pretty hard on it. I have got everything the best I can except for two things. I have polished the whole car top to bottom. Cleaned everywhere I can reach and polished the wheels as good as they are going to get. New rims for new year are likely. The two things I still need to do is to polish up the discoloured and pitted aluminum of the block and fix up the bumper. The PO must have bumper parked. There are lots of scratches and a couple of deep gouges where they must be dropped heavy objects on the bumper. I have been wanted to get it repainted, as it`s driving me up the wall. Sorry for the long preamble, but here are my questions.

1) I am assuming painting the whole bumper is the best route.

2) Someone told me that removing the bumper (actually the cover) for painting would leave scuffed areas visible afterwards because of the way the cover shifts on the vehicle. Remounting the cover would leave it in a slightly different position, with scuffed areas visible.

Any thoughts?:nixweiss

Detailing NY
08-29-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

1) I am assuming painting the whole bumper is the best route.

2) Someone told me that removing the bumper (actually the cover) for painting would leave scuffed areas visible afterwards because of the way the cover shifts on the vehicle. Remounting the cover would leave it in a slightly different position, with scuffed areas visible.

Any thoughts?:nixweiss

Yes painting the bumper is the best way to go, you would not want to do a spot paint or blend on a bumper that old.

Not sure who told you about the bumper leaving marks but they are wrong. I am a adjuster and a tech and a detailer. It will not leave any marks if you take it to a pro body shop. The bumper has clips on it and brackets that come right off, then they paint the bumper and place it back on the car with no problem.

NYD

clint
08-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Taking the bumper/cover off is easier than you think- they are designed to come off/ go back on quick since that`s what so often gets maimed in a car crash.

It will line up just fine once you get it back from the painters- most of the fastners have some slot or movement so you can align the seams perfectly back to where it was before. True there will be dirt and wax residue in the seam that you can see once it`s off, but just clean it and it`s fine. On a 97 any worn areas will likely compound/polish out anyway.

Sometimes it`s easier to get the bumper and cover off together as one assembly, than to try to get just the cover off. If that`s the case, it`s even easier, since you can just leave the metal bumper part in the cover when you send it to the painter.

I called the service department of my dealership and they told me on the phone how to find all the bolts and take the bumper off.. maybe you can be so lucky.

2wheelsx2
08-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Thanks, NYD. I remembered that you were an adjuster. As for who told me, it was several people, but they are not adjusters or estimators. You know how it works....yeah, I know so and so and he says, and so on and so on...

Anyway, this should be a pretty cheap repair right? What would you say the ball park figure would be? Under $200?

Detailing NY
08-29-2002, 05:12 PM
ok here is my break down for the repair cost

r&i rear bumper- this is to take the bumper off for paint

repair bumper- time to repair the nicks & dents if any

refinish bumper- painting bumper

Depending on what color the bumper is, i would say it would cost anywhere from $200 - $300. It should not cost more then that.

If the vehicle is a 3 stage paint, it may cost a little more money.

**what not to fall for at the shop ***

They need to replace brackets once they take the bumper off, this is not true, i replace bumpers all the time and never replace the brackets. If they tell you the brackets will break stand and watch them take the bumper off, it they break, then you can by them.

They need to blend the 1/4 panels for color match. This is also not true as the 1/4 panels are sheet metal and the bumper is plastic. both take paint differently and no matter what it will be slightly off depending on what angle you look at. so dont blend the 1/4 panels.

They are charging you for car cover, this is not needed as they can paint the bumper of the vehicle.

Once you get an estimate you can let me know and tell me what they have on it and i will tell you if it is fair.

NYD

2wheelsx2
08-29-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks, NYD. It`s not going to happen for at least for a month, as I am training for a race next month in the BC interior, but I`ll keep that in mind.