PDA

View Full Version : Decaling Tips and/or Tricks....?

imported_dl9589
08-29-2002, 03:24 PM
Anybody have any good tips or tricks for putting decals on a vehicle?

I have a 1997 GMC Van to detail this weekend for a company I deliver to during my day job. It`s a HVAC company, he wants me to detail the outside, and when I`m done he wants me to put on some sticker decals with his company name, and flames.

Has anybody figured out a good way for getting these decals on perfectly straight, and getting them on there without "big" bubbles.

I`ve had very little experience with putting decals on a vehicle. I let him know that I have done it before, but never on a large scale, such as this. He said it was fine, that while I had it there he wanted the decals put on.

Also, can you give me ANY idea of what to charge to do this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

ALAN81
08-29-2002, 04:28 PM
i did this once with a friend all i can tell you is to line up straight use thin masking tape.

matt@wheelwax
08-29-2002, 10:51 PM
This isnt exactly the same thing, but I suppose the concept could apply to your situation as well.

You know those window cling sticky things you see at places like Taco bell and Mcdonalds? Since I work at toxic he11, Im the lucky one who gets to put these things up. I have found that I can achieve the best results when using soapy water on both surfaces (the window and the cling). It allows me to slide the cling around and get it positioned correctly so it actually looks good.

Not sure if this would work for you, but hell its an idea :D

imported_Aurora40
08-30-2002, 09:31 AM
If they are adhesive rather than static or magnetic, then just make sure you get it lined up well. Maybe have a second person hold it on. Then just peel off the backing from one side just a little. Stick it on once it looks good and use some sort of straight-edged to push all the bubbles out. Then slowly peel the backing off and affix the decal, making sure it`s straight and bubble free. This way you can work small sections of it instead of trying to stick the whole thing on at once.

imported_fethead
08-30-2002, 09:51 AM
No, do not use water. In fact I wouldn`t wax the vehicle until after you put on the decals. here`s what to do:

1. wash with Dawn

2. get a grease pencil it`s like a crayon

3. get painters tape

4. tape the decal to the surface and mark reference points

with the grease pencil on the surface, these will be removed

later, use the painters tape to hold it there because the

painters tape won`t leave a residue.

5. remove the decal

6. now here`s the good part. peal off half the backing from the

decal and cut it off. re-position the back to the decal

exposing a 1 inch long strip of adhesive.

7. position your decal to the surface using your reference points

8. the narrow strip is now your starting point

9. remove the backing from each side of that narrow strip

one side at a time and work the vinyl with a credit card or

vinyl squeege. there shouldn`t be any bubbles at all.

10.detail as usuall. Don`t use a rotary on the vinyl, it will burn and

discolor.:nono