PDA

View Full Version : Winter Washing

Maik
08-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Question for you experienced detailers...

I own a 2002 Black Acura MDX which I hand wash fairly regularly, each weekend. To this point , I have built up approximately 25 layers of Zaino, and the finish looks quite good. There are some very light swirls, but not really noticable unless lighting is just right and you are looking for them. As winter approaches, I will not be able to hand wash as frequently, but I would like to continue to maintain its good appearance.

What is the best way to keep it clean in winter? One of the main reasons I have built up so many layers of Zaino is because I know that I will not be able to add layers in the winter. Will the multiple layers protect me enough to use a brushless automatic?

Thanks

imported_memnuts
08-29-2002, 02:31 PM
I lived in Boston for over 40 years and was always able to wash my cars by hand ( appearing very crazy) even between snow piles. Your best bet if you do not live in a house would be to carry your washing supplies over to a coin wash and do by hand using only their rinse ( no detergent ) cycle. There should not be any line during the winter months to hinder you from bucket washing. If you use the Z7 wash, your Zaino protection should have no problem with 6 months of New England winter if you remove the salt and grime weekly. It will be extremely important to use good technique and plenty of soapy (Z7) water and good rinse especially with a black finish. Never wash outside when temperature is below freezing ( paint damage from ice crystals/ grit formation). It can be done but with extreme care. :wavey

CharlesW
08-29-2002, 04:48 PM
The coin washes in my area strictly prohibit bucket washing, even late at night.

Just a thought. Doesn`t Mother`s have a new product that you spray on your car and then wash with a wash mitt. Seems like you might be able to get away with that. No bucket, wet your car down, spray on the wash stuff, wash with mitt, rinse with spot free rinse. Any thoughts?

Charles

Just checked Mother`s website. The product I was thinking of is California Gold Trigger Wash.

Chas.:)

samiam513
08-29-2002, 06:07 PM
i would never do a carwash without water. Much less, with salt on the car!

black, wash without water = :scared

Red Wolf
08-29-2002, 06:18 PM
In the winter I am pretty much stuck with a coin-wash, I soak the car with no pressure on the trigger then proceed to wash and rinse it down with pressure but making sure to keep a good distance from the nozzle to the paint.

If you go to coin-op at odd hours most places will let you wash with a bucket(or won`t know you are), particuarily if you can find an indoor place that chrages you by how long your in the bay.

ALAN81
08-29-2002, 06:29 PM
as crazy as it seems find a apt building with indoor parking.Ask the super if you could wash your car there and work on a amount you can pay him every time you show up.A lot of supers will take a 5 dollar bill just so you can use the hose in the corner of the parking garage. With so many apt buildings tyou bound to find a super to say yes