PDA

View Full Version : Does Meguiars #7 remove swirls?

Ikabob
08-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Does #7 remove swirls and how abrasive is it compared to IHG? My dealer washed the car and there are swirls I would like to get off...IHG + EO wax?? Any suggestions? It`s a new dark blue car with 4500 Miles on it. I would like to use 3M IHG cause I like 3 M products.

MikeLS
08-29-2002, 08:24 AM
Neither Meguiar`s #7 or 3M IHG will remove swirls. They might temporarily cover them up with the oils, but after a wash or rain the oils are on the ground, and your swirls reappear. The best way to deal with swirls is either use multiple layers of a layering product like Zaino Z5, which is a long term filler, or SG which will not wash off. Or, the abrasive route using a swirl remover like Meguiar`s #9, 3M #39009 SMR, etc... Personally, I like the nonabrasive route on my car and whenever possible, but unfortunately, this can`t always be done. Glazes are not the way to go if you want the swirls to stay gone...

:)

DCT
08-29-2002, 09:21 AM
I agree with Metallic Mike. Some products "remove" swirls, and some products "hide" them. Having said that, the mildest product I`ve used that seems to work best for me is One Grands Omega Glaze. With the word "Glaze" in there, one would think that it`s a filler. However, I`ve had great luck removing swirls and light scratches, and they don`t seem to return. This leads me to believe that there are some very mild abrasives in the product. When I use it, I get the feeling I`m killing two birds with one stone. To me, it`s like using Meguiars #7 and #9 at the same time.

MikeLS
08-29-2002, 10:02 AM
White F_150,

I`ve used a fair share of glazes in years past, but never One Grand Glaze. Is the OG glaze difficult to buff like many of the popular varieties of pure glazes? Also, do you use it before Zaino or when using strictly carnauba products, like the OG Blitz? I`ve been curious about their glaze for a while, but always clumped it with the majority of the glaze category thinking it`s probably about the same. Sounds like it may be worth trying for surface prep....

Thanks

DCT
08-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Mike,

I find that One Grands Glaze is easy to buff out when worked in properly! However, I haven`t used it with Zaino, only with carnauba products. Still, it is a "water-based" glaze, and it may be more Zaino friendly. :D

I find the end look is very similar to #7, with some of the "cleaning" power of the #9. In the end, you might find that it "clumps" into all the other products, but it might be worth a try. Especially, if like me, your running out of things to try! :D

Originally posted by Metallic Mike

White F_150,

I`ve used a fair share of glazes in years past, but never One Grand Glaze. Is the OG glaze difficult to buff like many of the popular varieties of pure glazes? Also, do you use it before Zaino or when using strictly carnauba products, like the OG Blitz? I`ve been curious about their glaze for a while, but always clumped it with the majority of the glaze category thinking it`s probably about the same. Sounds like it may be worth trying for surface prep....

Thanks

MikeLS
08-29-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by White_F150

Mike,

In the end, you might find that it "clumps" into all the other products, but it might be worth a try. Especially, if like me, your running out of things to try! :D

Thanks!

I definitely feel like I`m running out of quality things to try. I certainly don`t mind sticking with what works, and I also don`t mind trying new things for comparison, but lately the list of "new things" has been very very small. I almost feel as though I`m at the end of the road, so to speak....:( Oh well...

:xyxthumbs

Ikabob
08-29-2002, 11:56 AM
Who sells 0ne Grand Products???...Pepboys???

mrdetailer
08-30-2002, 12:46 AM
and swirl mark removers. They also have ones for Dark Cars. Love 3M Perfect-It Glaze and swirl mark remover for dark finishes. I really consider this a glaze in spite of the name.

I also love Meguiars number 9.

But on new cars you might want to try a coverup like Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, P21S Paint Cleansing Lotion/S100 Gloss Enhancing Glaze. These have absolutely no physical abrasives, and seem to also fill in mild swirl marks. I don` t think it would hurt to try these first, then go more agressive if it doesn`t work.

Ikabob
08-30-2002, 06:29 PM
I do not have Pinnacle products at hand...but I have 3M perfect It II and 3M hand glaze will that work on swirls??? Thanks.

jmdlat
08-30-2002, 08:46 PM
I like Meguiars #9 the best. On a black car, nothing beats it.

As far as abrasive it is, I don`t think its abrasive at all. I have used it many times and get excellent results on my black car. The heavy cut cleaner Meguiars has I bet is abrasive. As well as 3M swirl remover. It actually put more swirls in the car! But Megs #9 I have yet to have a problem with. Follow up with some #26....and I get great results everytime

MikeLS
08-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Meguiar`s #9 is definitely abrasive, but it`s a light abrasive. The 3M SMR is similar in abrasiveness to #9, if not a little more. The heavy cut cleaner is about as abrasive as a product gets, next to sandpaper. Rub some through your fingers and it feels like they packed it with gravel! Needless to say it will cut a finish very quickly. The #9 is way less abrasive than the heavy cut but the abasives are there, they are just lighter. In order for any product to remove swirls, it has to be abrasive, otherwise you`re just covering them up.

Ikabob
08-31-2002, 05:49 AM
Can these Swirl products be hand applied?