PDA

View Full Version : Where does the water come from?

pgwlm
08-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

Just finished washing my new WRX (357 miles). I just received my 1st shipment of MF towel`s(PakShak).

Washed with no nozzle using Gold Class, used the 2 towel tech(1 to blot the 2nd to clean up).Opened all the door`s,hood and trunk and wiped down with a cheapy MF.

Went back over the car with one of PK`s MF and caught up the dripping`s. Took the car around the block, went around the car again for more water,cleaned that up and thought I was done.

After throwing the towel`s in the wash, I went back out to look at the job(checking for streak`s and the such) and lo and behold there was more water.

Where does it come from? Is there like a unknown reservoir holding back some of the water for a later date?

I know that there are a lot of place`s that you can`t get to with a MF.What does everyone else use to eliminate water coming back after 2 hr`s time?

I have learned alot from this forum and thank everyone for their contribution`s.

Bob

CharlesW
08-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Some people use leaf blowers to get the water out of the various nooks & crannies. I open the trunk, hood and doors and get rid of a lot of residual water that way. After a few washes, I usually learn the areas that seem to trap the water. Quite often you can wick the water from those cracks with your towel. Even then I always have a few places that I hit with a QD and then can call it quits.

Charles

imported_Intel486
08-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Use your air compressor if you have one.

Otherwise go to a computer shop and buy one of those cans of compressed... well, they aren`t compressed air. One of those air dusters. They work well for shooting water out of those cracks.

shaf
08-29-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW

Some people use leaf blowers to get the water out of the various nooks & crannies. I open the trunk, hood and doors and get rid of a lot of residual water that way. After a few washes, I usually learn the areas that seem to trap the water. Quite often you can wick the water from those cracks with your towel. Even then I always have a few places that I hit with a QD and then can call it quits.

Charles Good advice. :up Open and "snap" the door handles a few times, and be wary of water being trapped wherever there is a seam or two surfaces meet. On my car in particular this means door handle moldings, door trim moldings, gas cap door, tail lights, under and around the spoiler, etc, etc. I just place an edge or corner of the towel up against these areas to wick the water out like Charles said.

I also use a can of compressed air as a quick way of blowing water out from the slats on my grille. Otherwise it`s either wicking (tedious) or blowing them out with my breath (wear a helmet for when you pass out!). :)

agnOstos
08-29-2002, 07:20 AM
A leaf blower works terrific! It eliminates alot of the smaller drips that happen after the car is dried. The one I use is electric. The neighbors think I`m a fruit, but my car looks ten times better than theirs! :D

Iconoclast
08-29-2002, 08:12 AM
and they just seem to hold the water.. nothing you can do short of a leaf blower or air compressor. I really notice it around the side mirrors and front grill. BTW since I wasn`t ready to drop the couple hundred for the air compressor I went and bought one of those refillable air dusters at compUSA that I saw people talking about. That was a waste of money, at least the refillable one. The compressed air lasted through one brake light and then I was using my lungs to remove the water.

clint
08-29-2002, 09:12 AM
I use a leaf blower too- my neighbors thought I was nuts too- untill a mobile detailing van did some neighbors cars and used the very same cheap toro electric blower.

I think water hides between the metal and the rubber in all the door openings and trunk etc. ANd under the trim.. It knows when you have put the towels away..

MTO44
08-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Anybody try a product called the revolutionizer. Someone said it connects to your hose and removes spot-causing contaminants. Car will dry spot free? Does this really work?