PDA

View Full Version : FI II after PI II RC??

Bing999
08-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Quick question,

Is there any reason to use FI II after Perfect It II RC or can I go straight to a Meg`s #9 SMR. I am mainly concerned about the level of gloss left after using PI II RC. I know I may have some swirls after the PI II, but I`m hoping the Maeg`s #9 will look after that.

Thanks

Darcy

paco
08-28-2002, 11:33 AM
Using the convential wisdom of using the least abrasive polish to get the job done.

If it doesn`t work out with 2 passes of SMR. Then go ahead and try the FI II.

Paco

BillNorth
08-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by FordGUY

Quick question,

Is there any reason to use FI II after Perfect It II RC or can I go straight to a Meg`s #9 SMR. I am mainly concerned about the level of gloss left after using PI II RC. I know I may have some swirls after the PI II, but I`m hoping the Maeg`s #9 will look after that.

Thanks

Darcy

Alot of senior members (who no longer post) reported last year that they went from PI II RC to AIO and the AIO removed any haze they encountered from the RC. Are you using the fine cut RC?

I personally cannot attest to this as I have yet to try it. But I do trust the findings of beau and Don.

Bing999
08-28-2002, 01:19 PM
paco, thanks for the reply, but I was actually asking about whether or not I need to use FI II after the PI II RC. I know for sure that SMR won`t touch the marks that I have. PI II seemed to be the product to take out the marks.

BillNorth, I have tried AIO to remove the haze and it looks like it works well. I guess that means I can skip the FI II, use the SMR for swirls and then AIO to clean up any haze.

Thanks for the info. I believe the # for the product I am using is 05973 which makes it a medium cut. Is that too abrasive? Should I use a less abrasive product and just work it more?

Darcy

paco
08-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Actually, in reading my last post I could probably have said it a bit better:

PI II ---- 1-2 Passes with SMR (if buffed out nicely) - Wax away

PI II ---- 1-2 Passes with SMR (if further marks are still evident) - FI II ---- 1-2 Passes with SMR -- Wax Away.

Good luck, those deeper marks can be a headache to deal with.

Paco

BillNorth
08-28-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by FordGUY

BillNorth, I have tried AIO to remove the haze and it looks like it works well. I guess that means I can skip the FI II, use the SMR for swirls and then AIO to clean up any haze.

Thanks for the info. I believe the # for the product I am using is 05973 which makes it a medium cut. Is that too abrasive? Should I use a less abrasive product and just work it more?

Darcy

I`m glad the AIO worked for you!

As for using the MCRC, well, the rule of thumb is to start with the least agressive and move up as necessary. You know the severity of your swirls best. If you think that the medium cut RC is what you need, then that`s OK. I wouldn`t use it more than once a year (if that at all). I think 3M also makes a fine cut rubbing compound. Though I can`t find it listed on their site anymore.

Bing999
08-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the follow up posts. Paco, I understand what you are saying now, makes sense to me.

I am going to make one good pass with the PI II RC, try the SMR. If that doesn`t work, FI II and then SMR and I should be wrapped up.

I never know how to accurately describe the marks I am talking about. These aren`t the "swirls" that you see after a buff job, they`re the really fine circular lines that show up in bright sunlight. Mine are just really bad and show up damn near all of the time.

Can either of you tell me how to get a photo saved to the right size so I can put it in this thread. I have some photos I`d like to show, but the files are too big and I can`t seem to save it at a lower resolution. I have one photo that will show a really good before and after shot of my finish.

Thanks for everything.

Darcy

Taxlady
08-29-2002, 12:10 AM
What software are you using for your photos? I use a freeware called IrfanView and I just "resize" photos to an appropriate size.

Bing999
08-29-2002, 01:20 PM
usually I just scan the photo and edit it using MGI photo. I don`t know how to get the resolution low enough to make the file small, but still keep the res good enough to see what I want to show in the photo.

paco
08-29-2002, 01:23 PM
I`ll do it for you in Photoshop and send it back to you.

pacobbs@rogers.com

Paco