PDA

View Full Version : Polish question

imported_Clark
08-27-2002, 10:09 PM
I`m trying to write down the steps for tomorrows detailing, more than just a wax for the first time on a one year old car. It seems to me that if a fine polish like Griots #3 is enough to remove a bit of clear coat it will also remove the wax or residue of anything we have on top of the clear coat. What if I were to skip the much debated Dawn wash/paint cleaning and just hit the car with Polish after the regular car wash product? This is assuming that the car does not require any claying.

Thanks

imported_Intel486
08-27-2002, 11:17 PM
The polish will easily cut through your previous layers of wax so you can skip the dawn wash.

If you are going to be applying a synthetic wax, then you might want to do a Dawn wash after the polishing.

mrdetailer
08-27-2002, 11:43 PM
But I would consider a Paint cleansing lotion like Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, or S100 Gloss Ehnancing polish or P21S Paint Cleansing Lotions. I just used the S100 and it had ABSOLUTELY no abrasives that you could touch. That is the kind of polish I would use on newer cars.

If you want to keep the finish pristine, never use a polish without a clay bar unless the car feels absolutely mirror smooth. Polishing with those abrasive polutants can scratch the surface.

Learned the last one the hard way.

Jngrbrdman
08-27-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by mrdetailer

Polishing with those abrasive polutants can scratch the surface.

...and a clay bar won`t? Clay is one of the culprits to blame micro scratches on. If you don`t polish after using clay then you`ll definatly start to notice them after awhile.

mrdetailer
08-28-2002, 12:24 AM
without polishing immediately after. My experience is with my first car where I polished for a few times without using a clay bar. (Didn`t know about them at that time.) Later on my father`s car I always used the Clay bar before polishing. I noticed that his dark green surface stayed in better condition -- well polished without swirl marks. So I never use an abrasive polish now without a clay bar beforehand. I like the the clay ber because the clarity of the shine is greatly improved when the road film is removed.

imported_Clark
08-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Guess there is no real yes do or no you don`t have to...all depends on the condition of the paint.

Cheers

Lemonxxs
08-28-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by mkg

I`m trying to write down the steps for tomorrows detailing, more than just a wax for the first time on a one year old car. It seems to me that if a fine polish like Griots #3 is enough to remove a bit of clear coat it will also remove the wax or residue of anything we have on top of the clear coat. What if I were to skip the much debated Dawn wash/paint cleaning and just hit the car with Polish after the regular car wash product? This is assuming that the car does not require any claying.

Thanks

What products do you plan on applying....

Dawn wash should only be used if one is applying Zaino and should be the last step before applying Z....

If you will be applying carnuabas and stuff than there is no real need for the dawn wash....

imported_Clark
08-28-2002, 09:02 AM
What timing. I just finished a wash with my regular Griots shampoo with a bit of Citrus degreaser in the bucket. Seems to have worked well, no wax left for sure. Next is a bit of clay work just behind the wheels and a few sopts on the hood. Then Griots #3 machind polish and finish up with two coats of BOS wax via the PC. Comments/suggestions?