PDA

View Full Version : Viper detailing towels

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intel486
08-27-2002, 08:31 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has the viper detailing mf towels from CMA.

I have some I ordered around last christmas and finally got aroudn to tearing into them because I needed them since I forgot to wash my YoSteve towels. All I have to say is the friggin linted like nuts!

I was trying to clean someone`s windows and it caugth the sun and was covered with lint! I have washed the towels a few times also.

Has anyone experienced this? I know I`ve read previous posts about them.

Has anyone gotten new towels from them and do they lint as bad?

ExplorerXLT95
08-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Knowing as little as I do about the other types of MFs out there, such as Pakshak, YoSteve, and JT International, but owning the CMA Viper Detailing MF Towels, I will say that they work quite well. I like them very much, but if the other towels are less expensive and the same quality, then I will likely order them too.

Anyways, I personally love them. If they are a bit expensive, then fine. They`re great towels. :xyxthumbs

Jngrbrdman
08-27-2002, 10:59 PM
I`ve got probably a half dozen Viper towels and I`ve never noticed any lint on them. I wash them probably twice a week sometimes too. I`ll take a look at them when I get home tonight. That is disturbing. I definatly don`t need lint in my towels. http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/cwm/cwm/eek3.gif

imported_Intel486
08-27-2002, 11:08 PM
I`m specifically trying to figure out the lint on the towels.

Has anyone else experienced massive linting from the towels?

They aren`t any good for glass work because of it. It is a good thing I noticed it or my windows wouldn`t have been perfect on the customer`s car. Had to use some cotton towels to finish the windows up. Man, are they a pain to use! I`ll never go without clean YoSteve MF towels again!

Jngrbrdman: I noticed it the most when I did the person`s rear view mirror. It covered the mirror with microfiber lint. Then I started looking and all the windows were covered with it.

imported_Intermezzo
08-27-2002, 11:14 PM
The green Viper detailing cloths from CMA lint pretty badly. This is especially visible when using them to detail windows. Even CMA admits that it "may leave a slight fiber trail when used on glass". They don`t lint too badly when used to buff wax/sealant, but they do lint a little when using them to qd your car. I use my Vipers primarily for interior dusting or for `grungy` areas.

The absolute best MF towels I`ve ever used for window cleaning are the cheap $2.99 towels from Tacscar.com. This is just speculation on my part, but I believe those towels have `unsplit` fibers (the el cheapo type) but the upside to that is they do not lint at all. Of all the MF`s I`ve tried, these towels lint the least and work perfectly for me when detailing windows.

imported_Intel486
08-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

The absolute best MF towels I`ve ever used for window cleaning are the cheap $2.99 towels from Tacscar.com. This is just speculation on my part, but I believe those towels have `unsplit` fibers (the el cheapo type) but the upside to that is they do not lint at all. Of all the MF`s I`ve tried, these towels lint the least and work perfectly for me when detailing windows.

Are you talking about the really thin light green towels from tacscar?

I have a couple of those. I`ll have to find them. I`ve never really used them. Guess I`ll have to try them out on windows and maybe order a few more.

Thanks intermezzo.

Edit: How about those surgical towels? Believe they are called huck towels?? Has anyone tried them on glass and do they work as well as Microfiber towels?

My Pro distributor sells them but you have to buy a 55 gallon drum packed full of them. Maybe I can get one and split it up with some people. I`ll ask if they have one I can take to try out.

MicrofiberTech
08-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Microfiber Terry cloths will often leave trails of lint and streaks, more so when not washed. Microfiber Cloth can easily pick up lint and dust just the same as they do dirt and grime. Always use clean cloths.

This linting happens because they have a high pile ( thicker, more plush, longer microfiber strands ), and the microfiber strands can easily be pulled off.

What you need is a Microfiber Glass Towel, that has a super tight weave and a low pile. As their name suggests they are made specifically for cleaning windows and mirrors.

CharlesW
08-28-2002, 12:09 AM
Because of all the confusion in my mind about how to use micro-fiber towels, I asked Pak a few questions when I ordered from him. He describes the two sides of his towels as "plush" and "not plush". He suggested the not plush side for glass, the plush side for wax removal and QD. Either side for drying. Works well for me. You do have to be careful about what you wash them with, too. I quite often just handwash mine rather than take the chance of picking up a load of lint. Normally, I use one 24 x 24 and one 16 x 16 to dry the car. One 16 x 16 usually is enough for wax removal or QD. I rarely have more than about 4 or 5 dirty at the same time. A pro with 20 to 100 sure isn`t gonna have time to handwash his.

Charles

Lemonxxs
08-28-2002, 08:46 AM
I love the surgical towels for the final buff on glass.....

imported_Intermezzo
08-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

Are you talking about the really thin light green towels from tacscar?

Yes, they`re the ones with the fiber patterns that look almost like snake skin (haha, sorry Snake).

70/30 Microfiber Towels (http://el1snako.tripod.com/id177.htm)

Originally posted by MicrofiberTech

[B]What you need is a Microfiber Glass Towel, that has a super tight weave and a low pile. As their name suggests they are made specifically for cleaning windows and mirrors.B]

Are you talking about the MF suede towels? Those work well too.

medic159
08-28-2002, 11:44 AM
A properly woven towel, using quality yarns, will not deposit lint after it has been washed once. Lint in a new towel is normal as fine fibers are picked up in the weaving, cutting, and sewing processes. There should also not have to be different towels for paint or glass, a good, high loop terry weave will work on all surfaces.

Thanks Ed for the comments. How did you like the results?

MicrofiberTech
08-28-2002, 01:48 PM
Intermezzo, I wasn`t speaking of the Suede towels, but you are right, those work great for windows and mirrors also.

DFTowel, I have to disagree. A properly woven towel can still lint. Microfiber can cling to and hold on to unwanted dust and small particles just like it can pick up and hold on to dust dirt and grime that you want it to pick up. That is why you need to properly wash your towels before you use them.

Towels with good high loops tend to pick up unwanted dust and lint more so then towels with smaller tighter loops.

ULUA.LAWAIA
08-28-2002, 01:49 PM
On the general topic of Viper MF`s -- they`re just not very competitive anymore, are they? They were my first microfibers, and they`re sturdy and reliable, and they were once a relatively great deal. But now with JT International, Pak Shak, and NeatItems out there, I wouldn`t go back to Viper. They`re expensive, they lack the `plush` side that the current MF`s have, and the dark green color makes it difficult to see dirt. Believe it or not, the purple Ultrafine towels that I got from JT Int`l were of a lighter shade than the Viper green towels.

imported_Intermezzo
08-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Cindy, wow, it`s been a while since I`ve seen a post from you! I agree with your assessment on the Vipers... you got pretty good bang for the buck about 1 year ago with the VIPERS and I really stocked up on them, but now with other vendors like neatitems, JT, & pakshak, they pretty much get left in the dust.

MFTech, I agree... even the highest quality MF`s seem to leave a tiny bit of lint if you look carefully enough.

peiqinglong
08-28-2002, 02:02 PM
I too notice that the Viper Towels are linty on the windows. I;m using JT International towels now and have wonderful results.