PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Teflon argument...5 Star Shine?

slawr2010
08-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Hello all, I was having a debate with a co-worker about Teflon and its abilities to help with paint protection, etc. This person was in business as a detailer some years ago and swears by Teflon products. I am skeptical at best, as Ive heard the Dupont quotes, and about how it has to be 600 degrees or whatever for it to be applied etc, etc.

He gave me this link:

http://www.5starshine.com

The site claims to outshine all others and protect for 5 years!

Any comments would be greatly welcomed!

DAC17
08-27-2002, 07:28 PM
$69.95?? Sounds like one of those "Seen on TV" things that never work. I`d be really skeptical about this one. PTFE has NEVER been shown to be effective on automotive paint.

C. Charles Hahn
08-27-2002, 07:28 PM
type "teflon" and "5 star shine" in the search box. You`ll find quite a few threads about the topic. General consensus that the hype is straight BS. ;)

MikeLS
08-27-2002, 08:05 PM
I agree with SLD! Teflon has never been proven to be of any benefit in car care products, unless you apply it with the not-included flamethrower applicator. It`s just another way for marketing to lure consumers in....and this kind of practice is too rampant it seems. :rolleyes:

BradE
08-27-2002, 08:15 PM
Try a search on this subject, it has been discussed in detail before.

In short the Teflon resin MUST be applied at 640 degree to "sinter" to the surface, ie bond with the surface. So unless your car is literally on fire when it`s applied it will do nothing. Can the telfon resin be wiped onto an automotive finish? Yes. Will it play any role in protecting that finish? No. It`s just more marketing mumbo jumbo designed to fool unsuspecting people into spending their money.