PDA

View Full Version : Two newbie questions - PC & red paint

equityed
08-27-2002, 03:03 PM
This has been an enjoyable site and now its time to come out from my lurking!

Bought a new truck (black of course), a Porter Cable 7424 and have an oxidized (red - of course) truck to sell.

Soooo...first the PC. Bought from Coastal and it also came with a 6" hook and loop pad plus a 6" pad weight. What should I buy at my favorite auto body supplier to go with this? pads, etc?

The red truck. I want this to look nice when I sell it so whats the best way (products) to attack the oxidation and give it a nice polish with the PC 7424?

Thanks in advance to all who can assist!

equityed
08-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Ordered a kit, thanks!:up

mrdetailer
08-27-2002, 06:35 PM
1. Washed with Dawn.

2. Used Klean Strip Surface Prep (From an auto paint supply store) to remove tars and wax residues. 3M Tar and Wax Remover works well also and I bought my last one at Wallymart.

3. Clayed the surface so it was entirely smooth.

4. Meguiar`s Clearcoat Body Scrub. (Removes stains well.)

5. Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover. I would use either that or 3M`s SMR which I also love.

6. 3m Perfect-IT Show Car Glaze and Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars. or Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze. I used #7, but the 3M glaze is far superior on reds, and has very few abrasives. Hides small scratches even better too.

7. Paste Wax of Choice 2-3 coats a few weeks apart. I used Meguiar`s #26 at the time, but this car has had Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax for 2 years now. CMA comments say this is the best Carnauba under $20.00. Great shine and good durability. I love it and won`t use anything else on friends or family members vehicles where I don`t detail them more than twice a year. Have 3 cans of the stuff.

The Porter Cable is recommended for steps 3-6 and possibly number 7. Without it you will have long hours of scrubbing.

If your vehicle had oxidation only this regimen should work well. It is of course not designed for huge swirl marks or deep scratches.