PDA

View Full Version : Removing tape pinstripes

PAW
08-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I have a new, two week old car. YEAH! A silver, gray Acura TL with silver pinstripe. :down I want to remove these. I`ve searched the archives and found some info. I`ve also done a simple test. I used my finger nail to gently pry up one end of one section. I was careful because I know your nails can damage the paint. I pulled it back maybe 1/4" and could see that it was leaving sticky residue. It was easy to pry up and peel back. I used tweezers to grab the end. There is no wax on the car. I`m awaiting my shipment of Zaino and good microfiber towels (YoSteve?). :D So, I have two plans of attack and wanted you folks opinions.

Plan #1

1- Gently pry up the end of the strips with my finger nail or a single edge razor blade.

2- Peel it off

3- Clean off the sticky residue with 3M Adhesive remover or WD40

Plan #2

1- Use a heat gun (a cheap craft one from Wal-mart) to heat the tape and then gently pry up the end of the strips with my finger nail or a single edge razor blade

2 - Peel it off as I continue to heat.

3- Clean off the sticky residue with 3M Adhesive remover or WD40

Which method would you recommend?

Also, some questions

1 - Which will be gentler and easier to use my finger nail or the single razor blade?

2 - Which is better 3M Adhesive remover or WD40? I have WD40 in the tool box. :)

3 - How hot should I get the tape? I know I have to be careful and not overheat the paint. Should this be warm like a hot summer day, hot but able to touch it for the 5 sec, 3 sec, 1 sec?

4- Will the tape peel off in one piece or will it break as I pull on it? Just to mentally perpare myself if I have to peel off 2" sections at a time. That would be a pain! :mad:

5- Should I pull the tape back over itself (i.e, more than a 90 degree angle, like 180 degrees) or more straight up?

TIA

samiam513
08-26-2002, 09:47 PM
use plan numero uno.

1. Both are risky, i`d go with fingernail. Not nearly as sharp, and it is pliable.

2. since this is not in the archive, try both and report the results.

3. Plan numero uno has no heating.

4. The strtipes should be one piecec, unless a door crack or somthin runs in the way.

5. pull gently. You will halfto pull at nore than a 90 dedg. angle. If you pull at a 45 (paint and stripe making the angle) you will only stretch the strripe. If you pull at a 120 it will roll back onto its self.

jerry@robs
08-26-2002, 09:54 PM
i`d go with numero uno as well since the car is new, the adhesive shouldn`t be that "settled" onto the paint...

just peel it REAL slow....

but a combo of 1 and two will be safer IMO... no need for a heat gun, a nice, warm hair blower would do...

imported_Adamah
08-26-2002, 10:50 PM
If the stripe doesnt pull of easily DO NOT use your fingernail or a razor. Instead go down to your local automotive paint supply shop and purchase a wheel eraser. Its quick, easy, and perfectly safe. I used one to remove the stripe on my fullsize truck and it took me about 10 minutes per side. Almost zero adhesive left to wipe off. In my opinion this is the easiest and safest method to remove stubborn pinstriping tape.

PAW
08-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Hi Adamah

I ONLY used my finger nail (razor blade) to START. To do the initial lift so I could grab the tape. It give me shivers to think about scraping paint like you would a window to remove a sticker. :scared

Did the wheel eraser leave swirl marks (or micro scratches) that had to be removed?

imported_Adamah
08-27-2002, 12:13 AM
Nope, I`ve had zero problems with it. I followed up with FI 2 because I was prepping it for zaino. You`ll probably want to use some sort of SMR afterwards no matter how you choose to remove the stripe.