PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Clar Bar OR Clay Magic Bar

imported_bigdipper
08-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Which is easier to use and where do you buy this, either on-line or the store for the best price for the largest bar? Also, do you need to wipe off after doing a couple of square feet, or can you wait til the entire car has been clayed and then wash with Dawn?

Thanks... I`m learning a "load" on this site!

Detailing NY
08-26-2002, 03:26 PM
clay bar wins!

i buy it at my local auto supplier.

You can use the blue or red bar.

the red bar is more abrasive.

NYD

2wheelsx2
08-26-2002, 03:35 PM
NYD, don`t you find that the Clay Magic blue bar leaves more residue? I find that it leaves residue even on my hands. But it does pick up more than the Mother`s bar does.

Detailing NY
08-26-2002, 03:41 PM
I really never noticed, but i will check next time. I manly only use the red bar.

Jngrbrdman
08-26-2002, 03:55 PM
I use clay magic`s blue bar. I like it because it is really sticky. I`ve not noticed that it leaves any residue other than the spot it will leave if you stick it to your car and let it sit there. That is easily removed though. Clay Magic rules!

chevyguy28
08-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Clay magic is cheaper (1/2 price), works just as well, and sticks to your hand so you can`t drop it. It also had the added benefit of being blue.

2wheelsx2
08-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I knew about the price difference, and if I lived in the US, I would use CM, but in Canada, I bought a bar, 8 oz? for $38, and it comes with nothing but the clay. I can get the 4 oz Mother`s kit with Showtime and some cleaner wax for $21, so Mother`s wins hands down for value up here. Not to mention that I can get Mother`s anywhere, and there is only 1 Clay Magic distributor here in Greater Vancouver.:(

imported_Tony
08-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Walmart has the Mother`s clay kit which includes clay,QD and cleaner wax for about $14 dollars. I believe the Mothers clay is easier to use and less messy. You will also like the shine from the QD Show time.

The main difference is deciding on using a Clay with shampoo or Clay and QD. Mothers states not to get their clay wet with water only use a QD.

good luck

BTW: I have not used the clay magic red bar

MikeLS
08-27-2002, 03:23 PM
When buying locally, it`s usually Clay Magic, blue bar. For one, the CM bar is bigger than Mother`s and two, I don`t need the cleaner wax and QD with Mother`s, which drives the price up. CM has never left residue when I use it and I completely soak the bar in soap and water. It is definitely very sticky and does a decent job.

The Zaino bar is my favorite though, locally...can`t go wrong with CM!

;)

imported_seres
08-27-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by bigdipper

where do you buy this, either on-line or the store for the best price for the largest bar?

Autozone for Clay Magic - $9.99 - Can`t beat that!! (I`ve not used Mother`s so I can`t compare -- but I`m very happy with CM for all the reasons mentioned above!)

Also, do you need to wipe off after doing a couple of square feet, or can you wait til the entire car has been clayed and then wash with Dawn?

I wipe as I go -- haven`t tried waiting until the whole car was done because I was afraid it might streak. Hang a MF towel through a belt loop on your pants and you have it right there handy to wipe as you go.

clint
08-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

The main difference is deciding on using a Clay with shampoo or Clay and QD. Mothers states not to get their clay wet with water only use a QD.

good luck

BTW: I have not used the clay magic red bar

I use mothers clay with water/car wash soap mix and it works fine. It does not hurt the clay- they say to use the detailer spray and not just water- but they didn`t say not to use soapy water..

boywonder
08-28-2002, 03:42 PM
http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10371

I have used Meguiar`s, Mothers, and Clay Magic. Out of the three, I prefer the Clay Magic because it gives me the best combination of effectiveness and pliability.

Detailing NY
08-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Yeah, I knew about the price difference, and if I lived in the US, I would use CM, but in Canada, I bought a bar, 8 oz? for $38, and it comes with nothing but the clay. I can get the 4 oz Mother`s kit with Showtime and some cleaner wax for $21, so Mother`s wins hands down for value up here. Not to mention that I can get Mother`s anywhere, and there is only 1 Clay Magic distributor here in Greater Vancouver.:(

IF you want i can pick some up for you in NY for around 12.00 a bar and mail it to you. It might take some time i need to place an order in 2 weeks, i can get it for you then.

2wheelsx2
08-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the offer, NYD, but I picked up that CM blue bar, and I got a Mother`s kit when it was on sale here for about $19 CDN ($12 US?) so I am flush with clay bars. But I`ll keep that in mind for the future. Autopians are the most helpful people I know! :up

DCT
08-28-2002, 05:45 PM
I`m with Metallic Mike for the same reasons. I think the CM bar is a better deal, and a better bar. However, I like the Zaino bar better than those two. Then again, when I can find them, I really like the 3M bars the best.

Originally posted by Metallic Mike

The Zaino bar is my favorite though, locally...can`t go wrong with CM!

;)