PDA

View Full Version : Black Avalanche after Z-5 & Z-FX--pics

Beach15
08-26-2002, 10:00 AM
I spent 10 hours yesterday on my weekly Avalanche detailing, this time using my Zaino that I got back in June. Up until now, I`ve had 6 coats of Klasse and 6 or 7 coats of Platinum UPP, most all of which were still on the truck yesterday. Now, I must say, I did my own made-up procedures, and some of you may be cinical, but it seems to have worked quite fine. Here`s what I did:

-Wash with Platinum wash (don`t like this stuff, and will not use it again)

-Clay with Mother`s Clay kit

-Wash again with Zaino wash

-Some clay/QD residue still remained and wouldn`t come off with more QD, so I had to do a light use of Klasse AIO all over

-Spray and wipe of Zaino Z-6 to make everything spotless and ready for Z

-3 coats of Z-5 with Z-FX, Z-6 between each and after last

So, no Dawn wash, and I actually put another polish on first before Zaino without washing afterwards, but had no problems. Until now, and even more recently, I`ve kept the Platinum on and washed it weekly with the Zaino wash and Z-6 spray. These work much better with the Platinum than the Platinum products ever did (strange), and the car has been looking amazing. Polymer protection and shine, but a deep, rich look of a fine Carnuba--I love the Platinum. 4 star also just sent me another free bottle of Platinum, but a "New Formula" for me to try out and report on. But, this was a Zaino day!

As far as the Zaino goes, the initial application and removal were relatively easy, not simple like Platinum, but not as horrendous as Klasse SG. Shine is basically what I expected, but with the Klasse and Platinum still underneath, I didn`t notice all that much of a difference when I was working in the neighbor`s driveway under some big trees. Saw it in the evening sun light when I pulled it back over, so I can report on that too. From what I saw, it looked like what I remember Klasse having looked like originally, kind of sterile and plasticky, but quite glossy. I like it very much though, and from what I`ve heard, it should get better with a Z-7 wash or two, and another few coats every so often. There was some residue still, so I Z-6`d and continued shining it up, and it did look quite good both last night and this morning. Still, not that much of a change from before, but it is quite slick. Oh, Z`d the side windows too, even though I Klasse all the glass monthly.

I also had quite a bit of Z-5 & Z-FX mixture left! The bottles are 2oz. size, so I filled one halfway with Z-5 and then put 6 drops of Z-FX in. After three coats on the Avalanche, I still had only used about 1/5 to 1/4 of that! I must either be really good at doing it extremelt thinly, or messed something up? I also used small microfiber towels only, when buffing it off, as I didn`t have anything else to use. Worked relatively well, but I`m thinking some 100% cotton ones would have helped a little more for removal. Anyway, here`s the pics:

Black Av with Z-5 (http://community.webshots.com/album/44428004spMbul)

CharlesW
08-26-2002, 10:04 AM
:up

Looks awfully good, but it always looks awfully good.

Charles

Beach15
08-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Thanks a lot! I take it you`re an Av fan..?! I bet some of you can`t wait until that 69` Chevelle Malibu in the shadows next to it gets painted black...I`ll be REALLY busy on the weekends then! I always try to take a reflection picture with that car being the reflection, just to see if anyone notices. Now, that 79` GMC van on the other side, well, it`s a whole other story. I tried a cheap polish on a spot of it, and I still can`t figure out what happened. It`s my fathers, and he painted it (used to paint cars all the time) about 7 years ago. Looked great at first, but it now is suffering the effects of 7 years of use without any sort of polish/wax, and the last 3.5 years sitting outside. I should take a picture and see what some of you guys can recommend trying on it!

You know, everytime I detail the Avalanche (anywhere from 5-10+ hours a week), I always say to myself "I hate doing this", "I`m never buying a black car", or "this stupid thing is too big". But, then I see it in the daylight for the next week and have other people admiring it, and see why we bought black.

I still haven`t seen the Zaino in the sun yet, it`s kind of cloudy out still and I won`t be near it until this afternoon. I`ll try to take more, better pics later in the day when it gets home.

CharlesW
08-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Beach15

Thanks a lot! I take it you`re an Av fan..?

Actually I don`t like trucks or SUV`s at all. Had to drive a pickup for 12 years as a steamfitter. SUV`s are too big, too much gas,and waaay too much money.

That said, It still always looks awfully good!

Charles:xyxthumbs

ScrampaTeg03
08-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Beach15

"this stupid thing is too big"

Too big!?! You only have 1/2 a truck to detail which my small Integra probably adds up to more than that LOL:p

BTW: It looks really good.:up :xyxthumbs

Redcar GUY
08-26-2002, 12:47 PM
looks good!

Beach15
08-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Well, I`m going to have to do a little dusting and Z-6`ing tonight. We just went to the doctor`s, and when we got home it`s clear that there`s quite a bit of dust all over (even though nowhere we went was dusty, this must be the "Zaino dust attraction" issue). That, and there`s some spots and a few marks from water and a couple of bugs.

Doesn`t look too bad, but is really not any different than before with 6 x Klasse and 7 x Platinum. But then again, I only applied 3 very light coats and didn`t strip everything off beforehand, so I guess I wouldn`t notice much. I`ll probably add another coat each week, or 3 with Z-FX once a month or so.

With all my experience with Klasse AIO & SG, Platinum, and now Zaino, my favorite combination has turned out to be Platinum UPP, washed weekly with Zaino Z-7, and then some Z-6. Works terrificly and looks amazing, like a fine carnuba, but with polymer protection. The Zaino is quite nice too, I just have to get used to it a little more, maybe I`ll like it most of all after a while. I haven`t yet seen it`s water shedding abilities, so am I in for amazement?!