PDA

View Full Version : Paint problems, need suggestions

sifl
08-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I own a 92 Toyota MR2, it`s black, and has been repainted. I started getting into detailing about a year ago. My biggest pet peeve in paint are swirl marks, I can`t STAND them. My car had a lot of them. After using Meguiar`s step2 Polish, and then some Zymol(how do you guys feel about this?), they were almost all gone!! It was great! It was the day before an MR2 meet as well. Unfortunately, it RAINED overnight when my car was on the parking deck(on the top). I had lots of water spots. I didn`t have anything to get them off, so I had to wash my car at a self-serve wash. To my dismay, my paint was filled with swirl marks from my drying cloth!

After that, I`ve never really given my car a good detail. I`ve been doing friends cars, and I`ve been learning a lot. I don`t have a PC, I do everything by hand.

I want to make my car`s paint look good again. The paint and finish on there now sucks. Here`s a problem with my paint:

http://www.warzone.org/detail/before-problem.jpg

See how bubbly it is? Is there ANYWAY to smooth this out or do I need a new paintjob? Here`s the entire car after a wash:

http://www.warzone.org/mr2.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions about where I should start?

Thanks..

Ryan
08-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Where are you located?

sifl
08-25-2002, 08:58 PM
Raleigh, NC

C. Charles Hahn
08-25-2002, 09:02 PM
Thats orange peel. You really can`t do anything about it without having a pro colorsand it, and even then it won`t really help. Best you can do is get a pro repaint in which they sand the orange peel out as they go.... only thing is these can cost big $$ (we`re talking upwards of 2-3 grand)

Most of us just live with ours being that way....

Redcar GUY
08-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

Thats orange peel. You really can`t do anything about it without having a pro colorsand it, and even then it won`t really help.

Most of us just live with ours being that way....

Ya And some paint are worse than others, I do like your car ;)

Ryan
08-26-2002, 07:47 AM
THe paint looks normal except for the pitting I see going on. That is a picture of your hood right?

clint
08-26-2002, 08:00 AM
I`d ask around locally to see if you can find a recommended paint shop and ask the paint shop what they think. I have a friend that ran a paint and body shop and many times he would just recommend a new coat of clear on top of the old prepped paint. Just a new clear coat can do wonders for all sorts of things. Especially good at removing swirls and I would guess should help the orange peel situation too, since the car can be sanded some first, smoothing things out. Clear coating is easier to do than painting, because it`s cheaper material, and does not need to be color matched.