PDA

View Full Version : hard water stains

mikemess
08-25-2002, 06:26 PM
I have very, very hard water. My navy blue 2001 grand prix has lots of stains on the paint and windows. What can I use to remove stains before waxing. Long time reader, first time poster.

drdetail
08-25-2002, 06:59 PM
I think if you clay bar the car, followed by a polish such as klasse all in one, it should take care of the stains and marks. Oh, and try followiung the all in one with 3m imperial hand glaze, itll take care of the swirls, if you have any.

Jngrbrdman
08-25-2002, 07:01 PM
Have you tried using Vinegar? That is usually effective against water spots. If they are too bad then they might have etched themselves into your clear coat. The only way to get them out at that point is to cut down the clear a bit with a polisher and some sort of rubbing compound. Do a search on `water spots` and see what kind of products that others have recommended. :) Welcome to Autopia! :xyxthumbs

mikemess
08-25-2002, 07:14 PM
They aren`t really water spots per se, more of a goldish, purpleish, iridescent stain. Vinegar doesn`t do a thing.

Jngrbrdman
08-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Sounds like some sort of chemical contamination. I would do an ABC wash on it and see what that does. Check out www.autoint.com for the scoop on ABC.

mikemess
08-25-2002, 08:36 PM
It could be. I think it`s just iron from the water. If it`s just on top of the clearcoat would smr take it off?

imported_Intel486
08-25-2002, 08:46 PM
I`ve had some staining no my paint. Looks like brown, discolor`ed lines on your paint where water runs out of stuff?

I used Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion and it took care of the problem. It is super easy to use.

I`ve since used it on some white cars to remove discoloration from bird poop, etc. Really takes the yellow stains out easily!

Magellan498
08-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Hiyas,

I have also had the problems with water marks on windows. I hate detailing a new car that doesn`t have any spots at all and is just dirty then seeing that the sun has baked on spots on the windows and the car doesn`t look much better than when it was covered in dirt/dust. I tried using a clay bar but it only makes a difference after very intensive rubbing for at least 5-10 minutes and it would take at least a half hour to do a whole back window of a Suburban. Vinegar doesn`t help either.... Am I gonna have to stick with the clay bar or is there something out there that would help me? I live in TX so the sun doesn`t help my situation (probably should just put the car in the garage after washing) but I do my best. Thanks for the help.