PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean Hood liners>?!!

Pages : [1] 2

Redcar GUY
08-25-2002, 05:11 PM
I have seen a few that are Nasty and was thinking how in the heck to you clean those!>!? Most of them are like chalky or almost gritty. Any ideas!?!

Jngrbrdman
08-25-2002, 05:17 PM
I take them where I can use a high pressure washer and spray them down. I cover the engine with a tarp first because the water tends to go everywhere. Then I just spray it down like I was spraying my floor mats at a car wash. Using a high pressure wand with lots of soap really takes care of the hood liners in short order. That`s my amatuer way of doing it though. I`m sure there are other methods. If you don`t have high pressure water on it then I don`t know how else it could be done.

imported_seres
08-25-2002, 05:27 PM
Don`t you have to be super careful about wetting them because they will pull away from the hood?

We got my Volvo`s liner wet at the edge when detailing the engine, and it was hanging down sort of. We placed some towels in the engine bay to make sure it dried in the correct position - not hanging down or stretched out.

Redcar GUY
08-25-2002, 05:31 PM
ya mine in the satty is almost like a fabric. I have tried a few things and nothing works:(:nixweiss

Jngrbrdman
08-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Most of the hoodliners I`ve seen have those pegs with the really round heads holding them in. As long as they are still fastened to the hood then you don`t have to be that careful. After all, you are spraying them against the hood. If they are too far gone, as a lot of the older cars are, then it might just be best to leave them alone and suggest that they pick up a new one from a pick-n-pull or from the dealership or something.

JAGOWNER1981
08-25-2002, 08:22 PM
I would never spray my hood liner with water.

imported_memnuts
08-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Most detailers suggest just replacing these liners when they become dirty or worn. They are rather inexpensive and most just snap onto hood. Camaro ( 4th generation ) liner replacements are about $30, Sati :nixweiss

Like Ali, I would never spray my liner with water. :wavey

CharlesW
08-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Most detailers suggest just replacing these liners when they become dirty or worn.

Sounds reasonable, but what about the mud spray or water stains, the dirt and dust accumulation from being in less than ideal conditions? The time when they are not quite grungy, but looking bad enough to detract from an otherwise clean engine compartment. There must be some way to safely clean these things without replacing them regularly. Anyone ever try an upholstery cleaner and a soft bush? Unless someone says they had bad results with that, I think I will give it a shot.

Charles

Redcar GUY
08-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW

Anyone ever try an upholstery cleaner and a soft bush? Unless someone says they had bad results with that, I think I will give it a shot.

Charles

I tryed carpet cleaner in a can and it didnt do jack!

CharlesW
08-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

Well crap, I really didn`t want to hear that.

Charles

imported_memnuts
08-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW

Sounds reasonable, but what about the mud spray or water stains, the dirt and dust accumulation from being in less than ideal conditions? The time when they are not quite grungy, but looking bad enough to detract from an otherwise clean engine compartment. There must be some way to safely clean these things without replacing them regularly. Anyone ever try an upholstery cleaner and a soft bush? Unless someone says they had bad results with that, I think I will give it a shot.

Charles

A soft brush would probably work to a limited extent. Most cars have somewhat sealed and vented engine bays to avoid introduction of road gunk to spray this area ( especially with more and more electronic components located there). Trucks and SUV maybe a different story. There will eventually be some deterioration and staining of the appearance of this lining. This liner is exposed to high engine bay temperature and in most cases temperature extremes presented by the weather.

One could try removing and spray painting to improve appearance but doing such may alter its main function of sound absorption. :nixweiss

If showing car and also using as daily driver my suggestion is to purchase a "show liner" and only use for presentations. This of course if it is the snap in type requiring no adhesives.:wavey

Jngrbrdman
08-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

Same here. Diddly squat.

I don`t understand the problem with spraying them. It has always worked fine for me. :nixweiss

amgtorre
08-26-2002, 10:58 AM
I have used a damp sponge to clean them up,

Both cars get mostly dust under the hood and little spray from driving in the rain.

shaf
08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Personally I`d never spray it either. I`ve seen too many ratty looking hood liners with the outer layer hanging off (especially on cars as old as mine) and I don`t want that!

Too bad upholstery/carpet cleaner doesn`t work. Probably because it`s porous or something.

Anyone try something stronger like engine bay cleaner or simple green?

ryncarzk
08-26-2002, 02:52 PM
detach by removing the clips. Soak with EF HI in a 3:1 ratio. Spray with garden hoze nozzle on shower setting from the back side. Let dry in the sun and then reattach. Do it every 6 months and it should stay looking most excellent.