PDA

View Full Version : Removing a bad idea

Vincent Vega
08-21-2002, 09:51 PM
When I picked up my car 1.5 years ago I noticed the dealership sprayed something under the hood all over everything. It made everything shiny(But cheesy looking). I think they were trying to impress me. Now this stuff is starting to yellow and looks bad. I would like to remove it from all the vinyl and plastic but it wont budge. Any Ideas on what it is(clearcoat?) and how to remove it without ruining the plastic? I have tried:

simple green

stoners trim cleaner

soap and water

ammonia based cleaner

:nixweiss

BumpersPlus2
08-21-2002, 10:31 PM
sounds to me like enamel clear coat. Is a old school detailing trick. Use Simple Green with half water half simple green, and a pressure washer. Should peel right off.

imported_BretFraz
08-22-2002, 07:46 AM
Yeah, the stuff`s called engine brite or engine shine. Nothing but clear laquer or enamel from a spray can.

Since the engine shine is paint it will likely take a paint remover to get it off. I don`t think Simple Green will cut it. This can be an involved job so decide how badly you want this stuff off your engine. If it were me I`d do it by hand but that`s tedious as hell. Maybe strip it off the obvious parts and live with it on everything else.

clint
08-22-2002, 09:44 AM
I`d go back to that dealer and ask them how to get it off- then get all loud in view of some customers if they didn`t help fix the situation..

Turn into the hulk if you can..

:bounce

Vincent Vega
08-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Yeah, the stuff`s called engine brite or engine shine. Nothing but clear laquer or enamel from a spray can.

.....If it were me I`d do it by hand but that`s tedious as hell. Maybe strip it off the obvious parts and live with it on everything else.

OK, I`m willing to be tedious. What is the solvent? Will it harm: ABS plastic, rubber, aluminum, any other under hood stuff?

BumpersPlus2
08-22-2002, 10:08 PM
I can get it off with Simple Green, and a pressure washer. You could use Prep Solve, available at a body supply store. I would go with the water route though. You could use laquer thinner too, but it will discolor/melt plastic components. Also, these solvents are very flamable. Work on a cool motor.