PDA

View Full Version : Applying and removing Products

Richt
08-21-2002, 11:17 AM
I will be applying the following and removing the following by hand.

#7 show car glaze

#26 Wax

#9 swirl remover

Medallion seris paint cleaner

what motion, ie staright lines, circular motions etc are required for each to apply and remove?

Cheers

Ryan
08-21-2002, 11:54 AM
# 9 and paint cleaner should be first order of business. I believe the consensus is to apply the swirl remover first, preferably done with a DA polisher, followed by the paint cleaner. These two products have the same basic function. Only, which is better and will do the job for you? I just dont know. Try to test both products and see which will do the job and if both are really needed. Ah, heck with it! Use both just to be on the clean side.

At this point the paint should be clean and it is ok to apply the #7 glaze followed by the #26 sealer. If you have any problems getting the glaze and sealer steps to go on and come off easily it`s probably because the paint isn`t clean enough. In that case I would suggest using a clay bar to start the day off right.

I hope it turns out well for you,

Ryan

Richt
08-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Cheers Ryan, i plan to clay the car first, then paint clean. A guy recommnd the #9 to me on her, i have no swirls at all in the paint, was recommended that the results will be superb. Then onto the glazes and wax. Am mostly concerned as to wheteher the products should be applied in line, straight strokes or with a circular motion??

Thanks

2wheelsx2
08-21-2002, 01:52 PM
The best would be use a random orbital. If applying by hand, use linear strokes. Forward/back for horizontal surfaces and up down for vertical panels. This minimizes the visibility of swirls you might introduce.

Richt
08-21-2002, 04:09 PM
For all the above products??

Cheers

chevyguy28
08-21-2002, 04:15 PM
Linear motions for everything by hand works great. #9 and the cleaner work better by orbital than by hand though.

ClayBartrug
08-21-2002, 04:26 PM
And for best results with #26....allow it to dry to a haze for at the minimum 15 minutes, if not longer.... Then remove with some QD and a clean MF... results are suberb!

Cheers

shaf
08-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by RichPug306xsi

For all the above products??

Cheers Try to use these motions whenever touching/rubbing anything on the paint (even washing). The reason why you do it this way is because you`re working with the theory that you are creating microscratches with every motion you make (even if you`re not). Swirlmarks/microscratches are less visible on these surfaces if they run in these directions. Go and look at any swirls you have in the sun and you`ll see this is true. :)

Using an orbital has a different technique of course.

Richt
08-21-2002, 05:29 PM
cheers guys.

Richt
08-22-2002, 06:16 AM
Chris S what benifits will i gain using QD to remove the #26

DCT
08-22-2002, 06:25 AM
Yep, Chris S may have a good tip there! A lot of people, myself included, like to go over a fresh coat of wax with some QD to buff out/remove left over residue. Chris S may be killing 2 birds with one stone!

Richt
08-22-2002, 06:44 AM
I like that idea to, I dont have any problems with residue at the moment, havent ordered my 26 yet though.