PDA

View Full Version : Interior smell.

imported_carnut00
08-21-2002, 02:37 AM
I used to love the way my interior smelled, nice and new/fresh/leathery.... recently ive been noticing that the smell just wont come back. Ive applied lexol to the seats, and febreez to the floors and headliners.. but no... the smell just isnt as nice as it was. Then i realized, months ago, someone smoked in my car. Could this be the cause? Everything seems so stale inside. Any suggestions on how to get the natural leather and clean smell back?

Bass
08-21-2002, 08:05 AM
try zaino`s leather in a bottle stuff smells great

Jngrbrdman
08-21-2002, 10:36 AM
There are a couple things you can try. 4 Star has a leather cleaner that smells just like leather. That may help. I haven`t tried Zaino`s leather in a bottle, but I`ve heard that its pretty good too. Lexol smells pretty nasty so you may want to look into something a little better smelling.

The new car smell is an enigma. It lingers for awhile and thin vanishes. Its really hard to get it back. Its a combination of the carpet glue, new materiel smells, and the OEM treatments they do to the car. Sooner or later it all wears out. If you get smells in your vents then that can perpetuate a bad smell. You can try a couple of things. My favorite is `Ozium New Car Smell`. That is the best dang car scent I`ve ever used. And it lasts a really long time. Ozium`s stuf seems to kill off the old smells and replace them with a really good one. I highly recommend it. You can find it in Targets and WalMarts and auto part stores. Pretty easy to hunt down.

Fabreeze has been known to work for me. There is the normal kind and then there is a special one for cars. I haven`t used the one specificly for cars but I`ve used the other one. You want to go kind of easy with it because it smells sort of detergenty if you use too much. If its not working for you then the smell could be hiding in your vents. I don`t know how to get that stuff out. What would happen if you sprayed something directly into the vents?

Anyway, get some leather conditioner that smells like leather, check out your vents and see if the smells are coming from in there, and get a good air freshener. Those steps should rid you of the smells. Oh, and get `No Smoking` signs or something for your car. :p lol

vroddad
08-21-2002, 06:01 PM
You know, someone in a lab coat should find out what composition of release agents/ glues/ etc are in a new car and just make a spray of those exact materials.

thevolvoguy
08-21-2002, 06:08 PM
My `94 Volvo still smells like it did when I picked it up from the dealer.

It smells like... well leather. :p

SergC
08-21-2002, 07:36 PM
Try Griot`s Leather scent spray ,works for me

imported_carnut00
11-03-2002, 09:14 PM
thanks for the griots tip, gonna order now

NGB34747
11-04-2002, 03:48 PM
err.. most of the new car smell (not leather) is from the glue used in carpets and upostry around the car. I belive it`s fermaldihide (sorry, can`t spell it). It is the same type of glue used to made particle boards and is known to cause headaches and in long term exposure, cancer.

I`m sure the leather smell would be ok, but I would be hesitent to bring back the factory "new car" smell.... infact when I first got my new car (about 2 months ago) I drove it for the first week with the windows wide open to get rid of the smell.

As long the car has a "clean" smell to it, i`m happy.