PDA

View Full Version : Does P21S wheel cleaner offer superior performance?

tom p.
08-18-2002, 02:38 PM
I have used P21s wheel cleaner for the past 15 years or so. I stopped using it since more cost-effective alternatives have emerged. I have been using Griot’s wheel cleaner for a few years and had dropped the P21S due to "high cost". Our current fleet of cars generates minimal brake dust and the Griot’s, at $36 per gallon (incl. shipping), was highly cost-effective and gentle on the wheels. It did a very decent job.

We recently picked up a new BMW and they are a real horror show when it comes to heavy, foul brake dust. The Griot’s wheel cleaner no longer had enough cleaning "horsepower" to contend with the BMW’s build up. So, time for a change.

I have just received a fresh shipment of P21S and have noticed the formulation must have changed over the past couple of years. The color is a darker green, the odor is quite different and the products appear to foam up a bit more when agitated. From a cleaning perspective, the P21S kicks butt.

A couple of very specific notes:

The brake calipers and related hardware appear as new…WOW, are they clean...I cannot believe my eyes...

I use an OXO wheel brush and it is absolutely clean (like new) after cleaning the wheels with the P21S.

My old grunge sponge I use to clean the wheels had been quite stained with brake dust funk and after one use with the P21S, it is completely clean.

Am I imaging all of this or is the P21S a vastly superior wheel cleaner irrespective of price?

YoSteve
08-18-2002, 03:26 PM
I unfortunately didn`t experience the same outstanding performance in VW brake pads and painted wheels. It appearly literally to do nothing. EF HI, however did so much better.

RobD
08-18-2002, 07:50 PM
I use P21S Gel and like it alot. P21S also seems to be fairly easy on wax. My wheels bead up and stay smooth for quite a while.

tom p.
08-19-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by YoSteve

I unfortunately didn`t experience the same outstanding performance in VW brake pads and painted wheels. It appearly literally to do nothing. EF HI, however did so much better.

Steve, have you tried P21S very recently? It appears the formulation has changed. I have used this "new" product on a couple of our VWs and the wheels and brake components are very very clean. I will post a couple of pix later in the day.

RockyZJ
08-19-2002, 11:30 AM
I purchased it for the first time in the early 80`s for my VW Jetta and it worked great on the factory alloy wheels. I then used it on my 535is BWM.

For some reason you cannot purchase this product as readily as before. This was a dealer carried item but when I went to get it recently, no one had it. Seems they changed their distribution channels.

It is still the best wheel cleaner out there but you are better off buying the 1000ml bottle rather than the 500ml. It`s a much better bargin for the price.

tom p.
08-19-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RockyZJ

It is still the best wheel cleaner out there but you are better off buying the 1000ml bottle rather than the 500ml. It`s a much better bargin for the price.

Rocky, I really stepped up! I got one of the 5L containers. That should hold me for a while.

It`s surprising to here that it has become more difficult to obtain. Maybe the local retail outlets simply don`t sell enough of it??

RockyZJ
08-19-2002, 11:50 AM
Where did you buy it locally or did you purchase it on-line?

tom p.
08-19-2002, 11:59 AM
On line ! Where else !??

lonestar
08-20-2002, 10:51 AM
I have some (liquid) but I haven`t tried it yet. Can you really just spray it on and rinse like the instructions say?

tom p.
08-20-2002, 11:09 AM
sync, no, agitation is mandatory for thorough cleaning. I just see no way to avoid getting your hands dirty.;)

lonestar
08-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks Tom. That`s what I expected.

YoSteve
08-20-2002, 08:53 PM
thanks for the heads up tom. I don`t use wheel cleaner on my wheels anymore, only Klasse and Rain-X wheel protectant as a topper. No need for wheel cleaner. Course when I clean my wheels in the fall (I take them off) I might try it.