PDA

View Full Version : detailing equipment for a newbie

oakcitycustoms
08-18-2002, 12:36 AM
OK heres the deal I have a black 99 f150 that is currently in the body shop..these guys do awesome work and it will look brand new when I get it back. I want to keep it looking like new aand was wondering what "tools" I need. I have a turtle wax wool wash mitt and three foam applicators..one for each product(I have mothers 3 step paint cleaner, glaze , and wax)...are tehse ok to use? I guess my real question is for a professional looking detail( I dont mind spending a full day) how and what will i need? Who makes a quality wash mitt? after washing what will I need to apply and w/ what ? I guess what I need is step by step instructions including product and tool recomendations for each step.

thevolvoguy
08-18-2002, 01:11 AM
Well, I hate to say it... but have you tried a search?

Just type in a keyword and see the wealth of info on the site already.

Here`s a good start for you --

http://autopia.ws/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=90264&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Welcome to Autopia!

:wavey

matt@wheelwax
08-18-2002, 01:15 AM
Well if you have the Meg`s consumer 3 step kit, I wont suggest you going out and buying any expensive waxes like all the others will :D Basically, if I were in your shoes, I would do the following:

-Wash entire truck with dawn to remove old wax & dry when done

-Use a clay bar (clay magic is a good brand that can be found at your local autozone). It is very simple to use and removes all the overspray/contamination off your paint! Buy a spray bottle of your favorite Quick Detailer (I like meguiars consumer version)

-Apply the three step product according to directions. If doing by hand, i would suggest picking up 3 or more foam applicators made by Eagle one (also could be found at autozone - the have a little "foam handle" on them. Buff out with a microfiber towel (turtle wax has a decent product also sold at autozone), otherwise buy some 100% cotton towels at the local bed bath and beyond or at a fieldcrest store. Make sure they are made in the USA!

-For tire care, buy a stiff bristled clothes brush and some simple green to clean them. Meguairs endurance tire gel works good, just make sure you buff it well, otherwise it will attract dust like no other.

-For minor touch ups and to remove finger prints, purchase some Meguairs Quick Detailer or mothers Showtime.. works good!

-Interior care is rather easy, just vacuum it regularly. If there are stains, turtle wax makes a good product called Power Out Professional I do believe. Apply 303 aerospace protectant (availible at local marine supply usually.) to plastic, leather, and vinyl surfaces and buff out well.

-Glass care is easy as well... Many companies make a good product, but my favorite is Stoner`s Invisible glass.... can be found at autozone!

Other than that, keep reading this site and you will learn alot about proper auto care. Since you have a black vehicle, swirls will be a problem, so take car when washing and drying, making sure ALL dirt is off.

Good luck!

shaf
08-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Well, Slowcapri pretty much covered it all, and a search will clarify anything you don`t quite understand. :) In my opinion, clay is the best step to make the detail feel professional. Since you`re going with Mothers, you might as well get their great claybar pack too - it will include their (also good) QD. :up

If the Turtle Wax mitt you have is real sheepskin, it`s fine. Synthetic mitts (except MF of course) aren`t liked too much. Follow slowcapri`s towel advice, I like my TW MF cloths. Don`t be tempted to use those cheap 100000 towels for $1 packs on your paint. They suck. :p The Eagle One apps he mentions are nice, but expensive. I have a bunch of these and I find I use them only occasionally or when I`m applying pre-cleaner or something that`s not SMR :p. I find myself using terry covered foam or foam apps more. Oh yeah, your apps are fine, but get a few more incase you drop one or it gets grungy.

imported_BretFraz
08-18-2002, 09:31 AM
For ALL newbies I highly recommend the Autopia Guide To Detailing. It will give you all the info you need to keep your ride looking sweet.

Download it here: www.autopia-carcare.com