PDA

View Full Version : very tired after washing and waxing..questoin

imported_matthew
08-17-2002, 08:04 PM
just washed and waxed my nissan pathfinder (black) today.

spent 3 hours doing it! :eek: :eek:

very tired now and its dark outside

My question is while `buffing` the wax that i put on (liquid Meguiar`s carnuba wax)

and i don`t think i got all of the wax off.

i used MF towles to buff it, i used a circular motion all over it.

it is dark outside though but i can still see some wax on it (when using a flahslight). it does not seem `shinny` or `glossy` or anything, but rather kind of cloudy and oily.

i did get most of it off though (since it looked gray - not black when the wax was on it)

what should i do tommorw when i wake up to get rid of the rest of the wax and make it look good?

thanks, im a newbie but I tired my best and am tottally exhausted now!

chevyguy28
08-17-2002, 08:37 PM
If you have a Calfornia Car Duster, use that first to get any dust off the car. Use your MF towel and some quick detail spray to help bring out the shine.

How did you apply the wax? Linear motions work best, as well as linear strokes to remove it. Circular motions are a no no for removal especically :nono

imported_matthew
08-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Oh Sh*t then :scared

i used all circular motions for removing it, used linar motions for applying it. I wasn`t sure how in the world to `buff` it off wiht just straight motions, I thougt I read to use circular motions somewhere.

Can you recommdend some QD spray that I can pick up at the local Pep Boys to get rid of the rest tommorow?

Thanks

imported_Intermezzo
08-17-2002, 08:57 PM
If buffing out the product was very difficult, be sure you are applying it very thin. I haven`t used Meguiar`s Carnauba Wax, but I have used their #26. As with most other waxes, when applied in thin coats it takes very little effort to buff out.

Another factor in difficulty of removal is the condition of your car`s paint. Do you use any sort of pre-wax cleaner? Do you detect any gritty feeling on any of the surfaces? (especially the hood and roof) The ideal surface to apply wax is one that is smooth & free of defects & contaminants. You might want to consider claying and/or using Meguiar`s SMR 2.0 (or a similar paint cleanser) every once in a while...depending on the condition of your paint.

In the meantime, I would follow Justin`s suggestions to take care of any areas you might have missed. As for store-bought QD`s, I like Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine, or Meguiar`s Quick Detailer.

crooper
08-17-2002, 09:24 PM
is it humid? i`ve found that it is more difficult to buff wax when it`s humid. then when i bring the car in the garage it comes off easily and leaves a nice shine

chevyguy28
08-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by matthew

Oh Sh*t then :scared

You probably didn`t do any harm, it`s just that if anything got under the towel to scratch the paint, the defect would be visible form all angles. Linear motions reduce the angle of visibility. On applicaiton, it also reduces redundant overlap.

Go ahead and follow Intermezzo`s QD recommendations.

imported_Intel486
08-18-2002, 01:38 AM
Don`t worry too much about the linear buffing stuff. If you put swirls in your car, not matter what direction they are, then you will see them. The thing you have to remember is to turn your towel often!

A clean towel buffs better than a dirty one.

I`ve had to buff off vehicles in the dark before. I got a call for a detail one day and the guy wanted me to come over right away. I grabbed dinner and headed out. I was at the guys house till 11 at night. Got a nice tip though :D

imported_matthew
08-18-2002, 07:32 AM
thanks guys. I will pick up the QD and use a clean MF towel. I will then spray on each area, and `buff` the rest off.

Here is what it looks like this AM, just took this picture, you can see the `wax` still on it.

A side note, is a Foam Applicator too `abbresive`? That`s what I used....

http://www.phillyshots.com/banned/wax.jpg

imported_matthew
08-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine.

Just picked that up.

My question now is that my hood and other parts of the car have some `dust` or other stuff on them now. It would not make sense to spray it on and `try` to buff the rest of the wax off now I gather.

What can I do then?

imported_matthew
08-18-2002, 03:59 PM
bump

Lemonxxs
08-19-2002, 09:18 AM
Try rewashing your vehicle......

samiam513
08-19-2002, 10:28 AM
1 thing. Your tired after 3 hrs of washing and waxing?

No offense, but you a guy your size (you look pretty fit from the reflection) you shouldl be good for another 3 hrs of waxing... run or somthin to make sure your heart is in good hape. Lift weights to get some muscle or somthin..

drewski59
08-19-2002, 11:44 AM
lol samiam!!!:p

Yeah, 3 hrs is nothing! That`s just a full wash with wheels and tires for me!

Remember `wax on, wax off`? You`ll get stronger the more you do it.;)

:wavey

imported_matthew
08-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Heh your right. But, I had not eaten enough that day, it was hot outside, and i did not have the propper liquids (water) with me.

Your right, maybe this weeekend I will do it again.

(A wash at least!)

nEJIbMEHb
08-19-2002, 02:37 PM
That`s funny. After I did my first car (just wash and wax. About 2-3 hours) I had same problems. I was so tired... But after 10-15 weekends, 12 hours detailing session is ok for me :)