PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Dealer left swirl marks

John Witmer
08-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Hey guys,

I read a lot on this site and in this forum before. I use Zaino products and put a new coat on every 5-6 months. However, I really screwed up this time. I said the dealer could wash my car like they have done the other 3 times I took my car there. However, this time they left swirl marks in the paint. I took the car there on Tuesday and didn`t notice them until Thursday due to working late and overcast days. I went out this morning but I couldn`t see the swirl marks as it is partially overcast and probably has a layer of dust on the car. The swirl marks seemed pretty deep when I looked at them the other day but I am probably not a good judge. I called my insurance company so they could file the information but I am trying to work through the dealer before I place a claim.

I realize I screwed up big time and noone but me will ever touch my cars again, this one being a 2000 Acura 3.2TL. Once you guys get beyond my screwup, can you guys and gals give me advice? Part of me doesn`t want to let anyone touch my car anymore as they might screw it up even more. I don`t have the PC7336/7424 but I am thinking of getting it to remove the swirl marks and make it easier to polish my car. What should I do? Should I let them try to polish the swirl marks out, although they might just be temporarily hidden? Should I take it to a detail place of my own choosing although I don`t know any here in Nashville, TN? Should I do it myself and basically let them off of the hook? If I do it myself, what should I use?

I would appreciate any advice offered. Thanks.

David

chevyguy28
08-17-2002, 01:51 PM
I would stay away from the dealer from this point on. If you can get reimbursement to take it to a professional, that would be awsome. Try stripping the Zaino and see how bad the swirls are. Some of the marring *might* go away, it just depends if the Zaino was still on the car and how badly they messed it up.

If you decide to remove the swirls yourself, try these links.

Removal by hand:

http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12548&highlight=remove+swirls+by+hand

Removal by PC:

http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8999&highlight=swirl+remove+porter+cable

There are a lot of good PC threads, that`s just one of them. Search and I`m sure you will find a better example. The removal by hand thread is one of the best for non-PC owners I have seen.

John Witmer
08-17-2002, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply JustinTRW.

I actually have to take my car in to get the trunk latch fixed. I also want them to see the swirl marks since I don`t want them thinking I was making **** up. However, I will not let them touch my car at all. I am not sure there was much Zaino on the car as I haven`t done a coat since late last fall.

The sun finally came out and there are swirl marks all over the car. They look like a rainbow going all the way across the trunk.

After reading several posts, I went and purchased the PC 7336SP from Lowe`s for $109. I also plan to order the CMA PC DM-Kit this weekend.

Any other thoughts on what I should do would be great. Should I use 3M FinesseIt II to remove the swirl marks with the PC? Should I use 3M SMR afterwards? Thanks.

David

Detailing NY
08-17-2002, 08:05 PM
I WOULD GO NUTS IF THE DEALER DID THAT!!!!

I just bought a new car and told the dealer not to prep it as i will do it myself as swirls are not an option on my car

John Witmer
08-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Trust me, I am going nuts. I want them to pay big time. But I don`t want anyone else touching my car ever again. If I do the work, they get off scott free. I can`t think of anyway to make them pay. I sure as hell don`t trust them to take a rotary buffer to my car.

Any ideas on how I could make them pay but still do the work myself?

By the way, I am thinking of using 3M SMR, and 3M FI2 if that doesn`t work. Any comments on those products with the PC?

David

ScrampaTeg03
08-18-2002, 02:05 AM
In all honesty I would just leave the dealership alone. Believe me, they will do NOTHING to help you out on this one. Besides, if they develope a grudge against you, what kind of service will you be given when you take your car there in the future. I know it might be hard to do, but I suggest biting the bullet on this one.

BTW: Honda`s paintjobs seem to swirl up VERY easily which really is a bummer. Just have to be extra cautious I guess. :(

John Witmer
08-19-2002, 08:59 PM
I talked to the Acura dealer today and they are willing to buff out the scratches using an orbital called a SpeedMaster(?) with some 3M SMR. I talked to the guy who was going to do the buffing and he seems pretty knowledgeable; he is using Zymol but has heard of Zaino. I am happy they are accepting responsibility for the swirls and willing to do something about it. Now the question is whether I let them do it or not. I went out and bought a PC this past weekend to do it myself but I don`t have much experience with it yet although I will practice on my wife`s Civic before I work with my car. Acura says they buff each car that is sold so the guy is probably pretty experienced.

Do you guys think I should let them do it or should I do it myself? Thanks.

David

MTO44
10-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Dealer had my car overnight to replace master cylinder. Car had no dings when I brought it. When I got it back today I noticed a paint chip on my doors molding. What should the dealer do to fix the problem? I am anal about this car and this dealer must pay!!!! Give me your suggestions

John Witmer
10-02-2002, 12:37 PM
Sorry to hear that. I know this is too late but I have decided to wash and then take pictures of my car before I go to the dealer for any work. Just make sure you use a newspaper in each picture to verify the date when you took the pictures.

The first thing I can recommend is to calm down and don`t go in there upset. Make sure you go in there and talk to the service manager in a very reasonable manner. Even if he escalates things and starts to become irate, stay level and calm. If they won`t do anything, then you should probably call your insurance company. I would also contact the general manager of the dealership and if that doesn`t get anything then try to talk to the owner. If it gets that high, make sure you let them know you will be contacting the Better Business Bureau about the service you have received. Make sure to file a complaint with the BBB if they don`t give you any satisfaction. Ultimately, your insurance company should be able to fix things if the dealer won`t but you will probably have to pay a deductible. Hopefully, your insurance company would try to get the dealer to pay and therefore you might be reimbursed your deductible.

For my case, I ended up buying a PC 7036 sander/polisher and removed the swirls myself with 3M Swirl Remover and Zaino. Decided not to let the dealer touch my car ever again. I also printed out a double-sided sign to put on my windshield that says "Don`t Wash This Car."

Good luck.

David

Scottwax
10-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ScrampaTeg03

BTW: Honda`s paintjobs seem to swirl up VERY easily which really is a bummer. Just have to be extra cautious I guess. :(

Really? Is that based on just one car or a general observation? In my experience, Honda paint isn`t apt to develop swirls any more than any other car manufacturer. Improper buffing techniques, ie using dirty wool pads, too high a speed, etc will swirl any paint.

I detail a lot of Hondas and have only seen 1 or 2 that I can remember having swirls in the paint--and it was due to poor buffing techniques.

SuperDave-if the tech is going to use a foam pad to buff out the swirls, that would probably be okay, but if he intends on using a wool pad, no way.

John Witmer
10-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Scottwax. Unfortunately, I needed that advice about a month and a half ago. I decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. The only true way to know it gets done right (or at least the best of my ability).

David

Scottwax
10-02-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SuperDave

Thanks for the reply Scottwax. Unfortunately, I needed that advice about a month and a half ago. I decided to bite the bullet and do it myself. The only true way to know it gets done right (or at least the best of my ability).

David

:nixweiss Didn`t see the date of the post. I forgot how much was lost and that most of the posts are from over a month ago!