PDA

View Full Version : Meg`s W-Dressing....great stuff!

NattyBumppo
08-17-2002, 12:00 PM
After an early morning wash I mixed up two spray bottles of Meg`s W-Dressing...one undiluted (as directed for high gloss) and one diluted 1:1 (as directed for low gloss). I did the interior first using the low gloss mixture and the first thing I noticed was that there is absolutely no scent at all..nada. For me, that`s actually a welcome discovery since having used the Natural Shine I didn`t like the odd smell it left behind and 303 also has a sort of chemical smell..IMO. The low gloss mixture spread very evenly and easily using a mf towel with the solution being sprayed on the towel rather than directly on the panels and dash. At first, it looks as though even diluted, it is going to be way too glossy for my taste and I was thinking I`ve now got a gallon of this stuff to get rid off. Much to my satisfaction after a minute the product was totally dry to touch and a very subdued, slight satin sheen is left behind. I can`t stand dressings that leave a greasy, slick surface so I use the steering wheel as a test. I apply every new dressing I try to the steering wheel and if the next day it is still slick and greasy, the stuff gets tossed (or given to my dad:D ) . I applied the W-dressing on the steering wheel very liberally and within about 5 minutes, totally dry to touch, not slippery and a nice satin shine. I would rate the 1:1: mixture about the same as 303 in the gloss department, maybe even a bit more of a matte finish. Too early to tell how it`ll do in the dust department but we`ll see.

Next was the exterior trim and tires using the straight, undiluted product. It is a little thick, not real watery which helps when applying to side panels, mudflaps and window trim/moulding. It covered nicely (again using an mf towel to apply) and looked as it was supposed to, high gloss. I did the bed rails, tailgate handle, all window moudling, and every bit of plastic trim on the exterior then did the tires using a foam applicator. Once again, after 5 minutes or so as the product began to dry the gloss became more subdued and ended up what I would classify as a moderate gloss...along the line of Vinylex or Meg`s #40. Definetly not high gloss which is OK by me. The tires covered very evenly and not streaky or spotty as did the rest of the trim and moulding. I doubt there will be a sling problem as the stuff really does dry very nicely but time and a rain (if we ever get any) will tell. The fact that it`s water based leads me to believe it will run when rained on but again, I`ll have to wait and see.

All in all, thus far I`d give Meg`s W-Dressing a :up. The price is right at $22.00 / gallon so if you use the 1:1 mix for interior and straight for exterior it`ll go a long way and cost allot less than buying store bought dressings in 16 oz bottles.

Chuckmotor
08-17-2002, 03:28 PM
I just bought a gallon of a Meguiar`s silicone free water based dressing from a Meguiar`s supplier in town. I don`t think it`s the same stuff. I paid $36 for a gallon, and though I haven`t really tried it much yet, it seems to not be that great. It has some scent to it, if I`m not mistaken. I sprayed a little on my engine, and it never really dried up even after driving around for a few hours. It still had little droplets of dressing. I haven`t tried it on tires yet, but we`ll see what happens when I do. I kinda want to return this stuff, but I doubt they`ll let me.

Where`d you get this W-dressing? Do you have a picture of it? What color is the liquid?

Scottwax
08-17-2002, 08:29 PM
W-Dressing is from their Detailers line. Good stuff too. A bit cheaper than a gallon of #40 also with a similar satiny shine.

NattyBumppo
08-17-2002, 08:38 PM
Chuck,

I don`t have a pic but I can tell you it`s not the same stuff that you have. This stuff is about $20.-23.00/gallon and is waterbased. It is milky white and fairly thick when undiluted. I did see the stuff you got in the Meg`s Detailer catalog but opted for the waerbased stuff instead (mostly based on price).

Chuckmotor
08-18-2002, 12:03 AM
The stuff I got is water based. If the bottle didn`t have a label, I woulda thought it was Final Inspection. It`s kinda pinkish with a nice scent. If you ever consider spending the extra 15 bucks on this stuff, I will advise you right now not to buy it. I haven`t used it very much, but from what I`ve used it for so far, it`s horrible. It barely shines tires and it never seems to dry. It forms little droplets and never dries. Never again will I buy a product that I haven`t read about here or tested personally. This stuff is good for nothing and I`m confused as to why it costs so much.

imported_Aurora40
08-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Natty, thanks for the review. It`s possible the W-dressing won`t run when it gets wet again. The Engine-Kote is also water-based and can be diluted (I use it about 1:1 too). Once it dries that`s it. It doesn`t run when it gets wet again, at least as far as I can tell. I think water might shorten it`s lifespan, but it doesn`t leave any streaks or anything that would lead me to believe it ran off.

Does the W-dressing have any UV protectants in it? I sort of suspect that part of the reason #40 and 303 and other products like that have that smell is from the UV stuff. Just like how sunscreen has a certain smell no matter the brand. I`m not a big fan of the smell either, but fortunately it doesn`t seem to last too long.

Chuckmotor, I suspect you got another Detailer product called Silicone-Free Dressing. It is a pinkish/purplish color. The product guide says:

Paint shop safe, all purpose dressing

- Non silicone formula

- Restores and protects all rubber and vinyl surfaces

Sorry to hear you have a gallon of it and it sucks. Maybe you just need to find the right use for it if it sucks for what you currently use it for (I don`t know what that would be, though).

NattyBumppo
08-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Aurora40,

I hope you`re right on the W-Dressing not running...nothing would make me happier. As for the UV, good question. I emailed Meg`s with that same question last Friday morning and still haven`t heard back. I fear you`re right on about the smell being the UV screen...if that`s the case, chances are the W-Dressing doesn`t contain any. When I hear back from Meg`s on that I`ll let you know.

NattyBumppo
08-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Well it finally rained here and I`m glad to say, the W-Dressing did very well. I did get a small spot of streaky dressing on the passenger side door just below the side view mirror but my guess is that I applied it too heavily there since there were no other run spots anywhere on the truck. The biggest surprise was no running off onto the rear quarters from the bed rails. Traditionally, the bed rails have been where most of the running happens. The W-Dressing held up even better than Black Jack Black Again which was previously my no-running champ.

Also, I received word back from Meg`s and the W-Dressing does contain UV screen. All in all, I`m extremely satisfied with this stuff.

DCT
08-20-2002, 03:08 PM
Natty,

That sounds like good news on the W-dressing stuff! :xyxthumbs Did you get a chance to give the APC a good test? :nixweiss

NattyBumppo
08-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by White_F150

Natty,

That sounds like good news on the W-dressing stuff! :xyxthumbs Did you get a chance to give the APC a good test? :nixweiss

Not yet. The main reason I got the APC+ was for interior fabric and carpet. The Taurus is a project...the wife lets the kids eat and drink whatever they want in her car :eek: . When she can give the car up for a whole day I`ll put it to the test.

NattyBumppo
08-22-2002, 06:22 AM
One more update. Well less than a week later and I`m sad to say it`s all but gone from the tires. Exterior trim still looks great as does the interior but the tire dressing is kaput.

So the W-Dressing will remain my trim and interior dressing of choice but it`s back to the AA foam for the tires.

DCT
08-22-2002, 06:31 AM
Yep,

I`ve yet to see a water-based product that will last very long on tires. Zaino`s Z16 has been the best water-based product I`ve used so far.

Look at it this way Natty; you`ve got enough dressing for your interior and trim for the next 10 years! :D

NattyBumppo
08-22-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by White_F150

Yep,

I`ve yet to see a water-based product that will last very long on tires. Zaino`s Z16 has been the best water-based product I`ve used so far.

Look at it this way Natty; you`ve got enough dressing for your interior and trim for the next 10 years! :D

LOL.....keep an eye out for the postman. :wavey

DCT
08-22-2002, 08:46 AM
OK, what are you up to now? You`d better not be.................. you know! :nono :D

Originally posted by NattyBumppo

LOL.....keep an eye out for the postman. :wavey