PDA

View Full Version : Applying products with bare hands?

Antym15
08-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Hi folks,

Here`s a Q? I`ve been applying products by hand, such as wax and 3M IGH... specificaly with my bare hands, and not using any type of applicator, such as foam for two main reasons:

1. I can feel if a speck of sand or dirt that may contaminate the products and I just wipe my hand off to clean it.

2. I think I`m using up les product making this more economical.

I can see an argument against this procedure, such as not being able to work the product into the paint as well... but is that really true?

What do you think of this method?

thanks!

Colin

chevyguy28
08-17-2002, 01:43 PM
S100 goes on very nicely with your hands. It melts almost into liquid in my hand and a little goes a very long way. It also wipes off easier this way.

shaf
08-17-2002, 02:24 PM
I wouldn`t just because it`s messy. :p

But if I were to, I would still use pads for anything that needs to be "worked in" a bit (ie. anything but wax).

imported_harold
08-17-2002, 02:37 PM
Wow, that`s gotta be heck on your skin :eek:

I like the concept though... maybe some surgical gloves could give the same results without all those chemicals leaching into your skin. :nixweiss

Think I`ll go try that myself, got a ton of gloves on hand... :xyxthumbs

Redcar GUY
08-17-2002, 02:48 PM
I have done it, I have a few cars that you just cant get under the rear wing with an app, I use just my hand.....

Antym15
08-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.:up

As you may have all guessed I was somewhat unclear as to what products I apply by hand. Only Wax and IHG. Compound or SMR for example I`ve always applied by polisher.

And yeah, I have thought about how those products affect my skin, and disposition and how I should probably use rubber gloves. :p But don`t you usually wind up with crap all over your hands from the applicator anyway?

Anyhoot, I just found out people here only use the polisher to apply the wax and not for removal? Am I accurate in this statement? Most people do it this way, because it`s easier and puts more wax in the paint? I`ve always done the exact opposite.. apply by hand, remove w/machine. :confused:

C. Charles Hahn
08-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Redcar: Have you thought about using one of these instead of bare hands for that type of application?? I`ve used them before to good results:

http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1693_204847

They`re those E1 Finger Pockets that CMA and a few others sell..... I dunno if you can get them locally or not, I haven`t found them.

chevyguy28
08-17-2002, 09:40 PM
It`s not that messy at all if you use all of the product on your hands. It`s also the only way to go when applying leather conditioner.

YoSteve
08-18-2002, 03:29 PM
I use quite a bit of hand action when washing cars, in order to feel the rough spots that need to be washed more carefully. Course I use a foam dispenser that dispenses PBS and a mini-mf towel that`s only 2x2 inches. That`s how I wash in the summer, takes a long time, but the extra effort leaves a smooth finish.

imported_Intel486
08-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by YoSteve

a mini-mf towel that`s only 2x2 inches.

O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rstype
08-18-2002, 07:33 PM
YoSteve (and puterbum) should get the most anal/slow/careful car washing award! :D I used to be as anal/slow/careful, but air, a new hose nozzle, and an organizing wash caddy with wheels help.