PDA

View Full Version : Platinum UPP vs. S100 Durability test

Pages : [1] 2

chevyguy28
08-16-2002, 06:13 PM
We all want to know, so I`ve decided to find out for myself. This product is much debated, so I`ll leave that to your discretion. Basically S100 (P21s) paste wax is below average for durability when it comes to carnauba based waxes. Platinum UPP is, well, we don`t know what it is and no one can agree on that. Therefore, I`m judging by how long it will last. I will update this thread once a week with progress for each. Let`s get to it:

This is not a "which product looks better" test. In case you were wondering, UPP looks little brighter as of right now. We are all aware of S100`s tendency to increase in shine after curing, which takes a few days. Both sides are equally smooth, but my finger glides more quickly on the UPP side. Very slick. I wanted to have S100 and Platinum UPP side by side for purposes of durability. Therefore, I am using all the horizontal surfaces on my `94 Honda Accord (dark green) as a test bed. My MB has Zaino on it, and I was not prepared to strip it.

What I did:

- The car had just been washed, but I gave it another one with MGC shampoo.

- Used Meguiars #9 2.0 to help improve the surface condition. Swirls have pretty much been eliminated on these surfaces, but there are still surface defects as you might expect.

- Dawn washed, surface beaded like crazy

- Split the car longways on the horizontal surfaces, like opening a hot dog bun. The left side is for UPP and the right is for S100.

At this point I was not sure whether or not to use any further surface prep. 4Star products recommends Klasse AIO underneath Platinum UPP. However, I felt it might skew the results (after a certain amount of time, the UPP could be gone and I wouldn`t know it). AIO provides very little protection, but I still wanted to take it out of the equation. Likewise, the S100 side was given no further treatment.

- I applied UPP via PC w/ black (grey) pad.

- Then while it began to dry, I applied S100 with a foam pad. I buffed it off as I went.

- Went back about 20 minutes later and buffed off the UPP. I used their gloss enhancer as well. Then I used FI on the S100 side to be as fair as possible. Finally, I lifted the masking tape.

So, both sides look pretty darn good, but let`s see what happens. This test probably isn`t the most methodized and is still very early. If you have any suggestions at all, it isn`t too late to start over. Some rubbing alcohol and dawn can allow me to do this more effectively if you feel.

I will be using MGC Shampoo to wash the car week to week, I feel that is fair. Platinum`s shampoo would only lead to reduced durability considering it is acidic. Comments please.

JAGOWNER1981
08-16-2002, 06:23 PM
wow great test! cant wait to see the results!:) :up

imported_memnuts
08-17-2002, 07:27 AM
Just the fact that you are running a test of a polymer sealant (Platium) against a carnuaba (P21S) states a lot about the questionable durability of the sealant. I wish you had some BF to run along side these others products.

Keep us updated.:xyxthumbs :wavey

SXTMagnum
08-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Just the fact that you are running a test of a polymer sealant (Platium) against a carnuaba (P21S) states a lot about the questionable durability of the sealant. I wish you had some BF to run along side these others products.

Keep us updated.:xyxthumbs :wavey

the results are in.

http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=122819#post122819

waynejitsu
12-21-2002, 10:33 AM
the link provided did not work. can you post the results of durability...

F 355
12-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Ditto here.......:confused:

imported_memnuts
12-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Justin`s test review is very old. The comments in this thread reflect opinions prior to both Platium and Blackfire revising their formulation. You might PM Justin to see if he has any follow-up about Platium. I can not completely review BF2`s durability except to say since I detail my cars treated with BF2 at least once every 2-3 weeks that its durability for this time span is excellent.:xyxthumbs

chevyguy28
12-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Yes, my test was using the original Platinum UPP formula and the current (soon to be changed?) formula for S100 paste wax. Therefore it isn`t very relevant today. I still use both products on my Honda. The test was done during warmer months where the sun may have contributed to faster deterioration of both products. What I am finding now is that UPP still looks pretty good as the beading and slickness goes away. My findings about how S100 sheets off dirt after rain is consistent with that of Jngrbrdman. I usually use UPP for the Honda because I have so much of it, but I put S100 on a small porton of the hood to show my friend how easy the wax is to apply and remove. After the rain, that was the portion of the hood that was most clean.

ADetailer
12-21-2002, 07:01 PM
UPP should easily outlast S100. I`m waiting for the new formulation of S100, with the anticipation that it will contain polymers to increase its longevity.

Scottwax
12-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ADetailer

UPP should easily outlast S100. I`m waiting for the new formulation of S100, with the anticipation that it will contain polymers to increase its longevity.

Actually, you may be suprised with S100`s durability. Certainly not like a synthetic, but my customer`s cars are beading for a good 3 months with S100 and the shine definitely is durable. Most get their cars waxed every 6-8 weeks, but some wait a full three months-kind of hard to convince them to wax when the paint is beading.

ADetailer
12-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Actually, you may be suprised with S100`s durability. Certainly not like a synthetic, but my customer`s cars are beading for a good 3 months with S100 and the shine definitely is durable. Most get their cars waxed every 6-8 weeks, but some wait a full three months-kind of hard to convince them to wax when the paint is beading.

I know the S100 beads a good 90 days, but the paint does not look as shiney, and does not feel as slick as it once was just after 6 weeks as compared to a good quality polymer.

Do you notice the same?

Jngrbrdman
12-21-2002, 11:41 PM
I just don`t understand how people can compare a carnauba wax against a polymer in a durability test. The polymer is going to last longer because that is what it was designed to do. It should be an appearance test that you are looking for. I mean, big suprise when the polymer lasts longer. That`s like running a durability test between sidewalk chalk and the paint they use for

the lines on the freeway. Which do you think will last longer?

:nixweiss

chevyguy28
12-22-2002, 12:45 AM
During the summer months, I did not find that UPP lasted incredibly longer. A week or so extra, before I would reapply. As far as I`m concerned, UPP#1 and S100 have practically the same durability.

This is of course irrelevant now that the new version has been released.

Scottwax
12-22-2002, 12:51 AM

I know the S100 beads a good 90 days, but the paint does not look as shiney, and does not feel as slick as it once was just after 6 weeks as compared to a good quality polymer.

Do you notice the same?

Obviously S100 is not as slick at 90 days as it was when first applied, but the shine does not diminish very much in that time period and the paint is still real reflective. QEW tends to be very gentle on wax, so that may be a reason why I am getting good durability out of S100.

imported_Intermezzo
12-22-2002, 12:56 AM

Do you notice the same?

Actually, there are sealants that are popular here that do not feel anywhere near (nor bead water) the same after 6-8 weeks. That doesn`t mean the coat is gone however, as many polymer sealants are "supposed" :rolleyes: to lose slickness and sheet water after a month or two. I`m not too crazy about products that do this, but others here don`t seem to mind.

On that note, I`d put my money on P21S if compared head-to-head with either the original versions of BF or Platinum.