PDA

View Full Version : Help. scratch repair.

kerrse
08-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Better to sand or rub out?

Just a question, I use the touch up, sand, sand, RC, buff method to touch up chips and scratches and it works pretty well. my question is, has anyone tried or do you think it might work instead of rubbing out some scratches that are not into the paint what about putting clearcoat on them like touch up paint and then doing the sanding method? has anyone tried this and how did it come out?

Jngrbrdman
08-16-2002, 05:59 PM
So, let me get this straight... You have scratch in your clearcoat and instead of buffing it out, you want to know what would happen if you just filled it with regular clear coat? I don`t know that I would want to do that. You can get a lot of polishes that will fill the scratch better. If you use clearcoat then you are going to have to sand it down and that never looks as good as the original paint job anyway. If you can`t get the scratch out by buffing it then you will have to touch it up anyway because its obviously deeper than just the clear coat. ScratchX or GS27 may be your friend in this case. Those are a little more abrasive than the average bear and may just work. Rub along the grain of the scratch and see if it can be removed that way. I wouldn`t touch it up unless all else failed. Its a lot eaiser to buff it out than it is to touch it up.

6567GTO
08-16-2002, 06:41 PM
try this product;

http://www.langka.com/

chevyguy28
08-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Jngrbrdman - I tried some Scratch-X today and #9 today and I think they are nearly the same. The former feels like it has some more grit in it, but otherwise the formulas are very close. Scratch-X seems mildly more abrasive.