PDA

View Full Version : Here`s something interesting for you

boywonder
08-16-2002, 12:55 PM
One of my co-workers has a Stealth with what looks like severe clearcoat failure in one spot. He would like advice on what to do about this.

My personal thought would be to get it sanded down and reshoot the clear in that location.

http://autopia.ws/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=130

http://autopia.ws/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=129

http://autopia.ws/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=128

boywonder
08-16-2002, 03:23 PM
:confused:

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2002, 03:25 PM
well..... I agree with you, it needs to be sanded down thru the clear and resprayed in that area. Should be able to find a quality body shop to do it for a minimal charge. It may need to be done on the whole pannel instead of just a touch up though. Looks a bit too severe to respray it himself.

Or, he could always go for the "bretfraz` dream truck" look, then you`d never even notice the clearcoat checking. :scared

Thunderingbird
08-16-2002, 05:57 PM
The whole panel will have to be redone! Once you sand the clearcoat off you will have to respray the base as well. You cannot sand the basecoat then spray clear on it.:nono

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Thunderingbird: Yes you can. Thats what colorsanding is. We`re not talking about using some 100 grit paper, we`re talking maybe 3000 grit or so..... really fine stuff. They would use the 3000 grit just until the clear checking is no longer visible, compound the basecoat, and respray with clear. :xyxthumbs

Thunderingbird
08-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Well all I can tell you is that Dupont, Sherwin Williams and PPG say you cannot do that procedure. I know that when I tried to do that very thing myself 3 years ago the color DID NOT look the same, there was an obvious difference in appearance. Base coat[color coat] once sprayed CANNOT be sanded before applying clear coat, if you do sand the base coat in places say to remove trash or runs you will see every place you sanded when you spray the clear. You can sand the clear all you want but you cannot sand the base coat with out reapplying the base coat. How many times have you done this? Could you post some pictures of the finish`s youve done this to?

imported_Adamah
08-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

Thunderingbird: Yes you can. Thats what colorsanding is. We`re not talking about using some 100 grit paper, we`re talking maybe 3000 grit or so..... really fine stuff. They would use the 3000 grit just until the clear checking is no longer visible, compound the basecoat, and respray with clear. :xyxthumbs

Actually....no. Thats not how anyone with any kind of paint experience would repair that panel.

otilio1
08-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Did this happen spontaneously, or was it gradual? It looks like the spots where battery acid leaked on my lawn mower. Yikes!

Antym15
08-17-2002, 08:40 PM
I dunno, that looks bad enough to respray the entire door, basecoat (color), clearcot and the Whole Nine Yards.

Did your friend say how that happened?

boywonder
08-17-2002, 10:34 PM
The story is that he got the car in this state.

Thunderingbird
08-18-2002, 11:04 AM
I have a car that is covered all over like that. Industrial fallout was the culprit in my case. The chemical plant where I was working at the time had a release of acid and it ate tiny pinholes all the way through the clearcoat. Once the weather turned wet and cold enough to freeze at night, the clear poped right off in spots all over the car just like you show here. In fact there is not one spec of clear left on the roof! When I get done with my other project car I will get started working on my delaminated car.