PDA

View Full Version : removing paint overspray

jjagain
08-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Over a year ago I had some body work done on my car by a shop that I regret taking my car to.

To make a long story short, I found some paint overspray on the lower part of the inside of my door pannel that I didn`t notice until now.

Any suggestions on what I can use to remove the paint overspray from the door pannel (which is plastic/vinyl, i think)? I do NOT want to take my car back to that shop because i`m sure they`ll screw something else up.

Would mineral spirits do the trick or would they melt the plastic too?

Thanks

SXTMagnum
08-16-2002, 10:53 AM
i think this is the original use of clay. i know that body shop supply stores sell overspray clay. i don`t know if it is different than detailing clay. i have only used detail clays.

jjagain
08-16-2002, 11:20 AM
will clay work on textured vinyl? i thought it was for paint/smooth surfaces only?

SXTMagnum
08-16-2002, 11:37 AM
i use it to get bugs and stuff off front end, bumper, plastic and all. i haven`t ever had any negative effects.

jjagain
08-16-2002, 11:40 AM
well, the material in question is the same material as is on the dash... i don`t see clay being used on that.

SXTMagnum
08-16-2002, 11:57 AM
you may be safe not to. i only see references to using it on paint. but i use it on the black trim and hard plastic surfaces. maybe i am using one of the least abrasive clays. i use griot`s.:nixweiss

i am not recommending anything. this is what i do without a problem.