PDA

View Full Version : Surface Prep prior to Zaino

hawk393
08-15-2002, 02:15 PM
I recently stripped all the Zaino off of my car and am going to try to get rid of some of those annoying swirl marks that the previous owner left me. I`m planning on going over the car with 3M Finesse-it II Machine Polish, then Meguiars #3 Machine Glaze, then Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. I`m hoping the Pinnacle lotion will hide any swirls that I can`t get out with the first two products.

My question is this: Will Zaino bond properly overtop of the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion? Since the lotion says it fills in the swirls - I assume it leaves a layer of product on the surface so I`m skeptical about using it before Zaino. Any suggestions?

I`ll be using my Porter Cable 7336 with the CMA white foam pads (I haven`t had much luck with the yellow pads). Thanks in advance :)

SXTMagnum
08-15-2002, 03:23 PM
what did you use to strip Z off?

it is recommended to Dawn wash paint to remove all waxes, polishes, fillers, etc. Z wants to stick dirrectly to bare paint. that is why you are going through all that trouble. because it will look awesome!

MikeLS
08-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Just to be on the safe side, I`d wash with DAWN just before applying the Zaino. Afterwards, spray some Z6 on the entire car....and you`re all set!

:)

SXTMagnum
08-15-2002, 04:18 PM
mike!

how do i remove Zaino down to bare paint?

MikeLS
08-15-2002, 04:30 PM
You have a PM!

;)

:xyxthumbs

paco
08-15-2002, 05:37 PM
Zaino will not bond to the clear if there is a glazed applied to the finish. If you think about it, how would anything bind properly to an oily surface.

Paco

hawk393
08-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure

I washed the car 4 times with a concentrated solution of Dawn to get all 9 layers of Zaino off the car (it felt like there was still wax on the car after 3 washes!)

paco
08-15-2002, 09:44 PM
You probably just got it down to a very clean finish.

Bare paint - I hope you mean clearcoat :D Bare paint would be very very bad :scared

Either way, if you have a squeeky clean finish - that would suffice.

But for the future consideration, the Finesse It II or even SMR would remove any trace of Zaino in a giffy - with out the potential adverse effects of 4 consecutive washes with Dawn. Remember, it`s generally regarded that 2 or 3 Dawn washes a year would be fine.

The layer of protection (even multiple layers) of Zaino is very very thin. So any abrasive would remove it without any effort.

Be kind to that clearcoat :xyxthumbs

Paco