PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Zaino

pagerart
08-15-2002, 01:15 PM
I was a Meguiar`s user who finally switched over to Zaino. I am impressed with the stuff, especially how durable it is. Shine-wise, I was able to do just as well with Meguiar`s and a buffer, but it was a lot more work...and I mean WORK.

The other day, some birds left their calling cards on my hood. I drove home and immediately wiped it off. I used Meguiar`s Quik Detailer to remove the junk and then I noticed that some "residue" remained (I don`t know how else to describe it, but stain marks as if I had let the droppings sit there for days when it had only been less than an hour). Then I got out the Z-6 and tried to see if would come out. Better, but still there. Finally I used Meguiar`s Scratch-X. It did remove the stains, but now when I look at the hood, I can tell a noticeable difference where I rubbed with the Scratch-X. It seems as though the Scratch-X has sort of cut through a "haze" that was on the area that had Zaino. Could I have removed some oxidation?

So a few questions: 1) Would I hurt anything by using Quik Detailer for touch-ups? Z-6 is expensive. 2) What would you all suggest I do about this "haze" or oxidation? Do I have to strip the Zaino off the car and then start over? (wouldn`t THAT be a b*tch).

Thanks

imported_Aurora40
08-15-2002, 01:19 PM
If there was any oxidation, I`m sure the Scratch-X removed it. It also would have removed any Zaino there. You might just try applying some Z to the spot and see if it looks like the rest of the car. I`ve no Zaino experience, but any protectant would have been removed by the Scratch-X, and most protectants change the look of the paint in some way. So if it looks different it might just be because it`s bare paint there.

paco
08-15-2002, 01:36 PM
and what are you using as a Car Wash Soap/Shampoo?

Oxidation I wouldn`t think sets that quickly (guessing it hasn`t been months).

I would guess that you simply removed a bit of the sealant and didn`t work the Scratch X enough and it left a hazed finish.

The jury is out on the abrasiveness of Scratch X but I would definitely say it removed the Zaino layer. Go over with again with Scratch X and this time make sure to work it enough to bring back the glossy finish. Top off with Zaino and look if there`s a difference.

Paco

DCT
08-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Paco,

As for the car wash, I only use Zaino`s Z7........ it just works best with the Zaino system.

Green Hornet,

I`ve had good luck removing stains on Zaino with a paint cleaner like MPPC............ and yes, it will remove the "Z". You`ll have to re-coat the area.

As for the QD, the Z6 is really concentrated, you can wait until a bottle gets down about 1/3 of the way, and fill it back up with distilled water. This diluted Z6 will work well for QD`ing the truck, and cleaning up spots. However, you want to have another bottle of the Z6 "not diluted" to use between coats of "Z".

You could also use Meguiars FI for QD`ing......... I think it works better than the Quick Detailer. Again, don`t forget to use full strength Z6 between coats.

2K4Element
08-15-2002, 06:41 PM
im pretty new what does MPPC mean??

thanks

DCT
08-15-2002, 06:53 PM
2K2Civic,

Sorry, the MPPC stands for a product by Meguiar`s called Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. Any good paint "cleaner" would probably work.

2K4Element
08-15-2002, 06:59 PM
thanks for the quick response. dp you the think the meguiar deep crystal paint cleaner would work to remove zaino.

thanks

pagerart
08-16-2002, 08:58 AM
Thanks for all your help...I should add that the Zaino I have on my vehicle is less than 4 months old, and it was my impression that the only way to remove Zaino was Isopropyl Alcohol. From what everyone has been saying here, some have said that certain paint cleaners will remove it.

So the question remains...does paint oxidize under Zaino?

MikeLS
08-16-2002, 09:54 AM
Yes, you can remove Zaino with almost any paint cleaner product or strong solvent like alcohol. The cheapest quickest paint cleaner I`ve used is the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. Mother`s paint cleaner, nearly any and every swirl remover or compound, etc will also remove all the Zaino, as well as any other wax or sealant.

In my opinion, I don`t think paint could oxidize under Zaino, as long as you are sure there is Z on the surface. But, all surfaces need to have contaminants removed periodically, with the use of clay or these can build up and cause damage regadless of what product you use on the finish. It won`t be oxidation, but these particulates do cause problems on a finish, and usually get worse the longer they remain on the surface.

:)

pagerart
08-16-2002, 10:06 AM
Therein lies another possibility...that I already had oxidized paint when I applied Zaino. Not very likely because I did wax regularly with Meguiar`s and the finish is only a year old, but in the area where I applied the Scratch-X is considerably "darker" black than the rest of the car.

Clay bar will remove surface contaminants, but will not remove oxidation.

Did I do something wrong here or do you suggest I strip the car, rub it down and start the Zaino process over?

MikeLS
08-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Well, I don`t think you need to start over completely with Z, just that one small area. Having used Meguiar`s myself for a long time, I doubt you had oxidation on your 1 year old finish, highly unlikely, unless it`s a paint quality issue I`m not aware of.

I think what you are seeing is the bare paint without any Zaino. I`m sure the Scratch X removed any traces of Z in that area, so I`m guessing that it took away that bright shine and clarity you are used to seeing with Zaino. I also think that the Scratch X acts like a fine polish in that it will tend to remove any dead paint, light contamination, etc which in turn will darken and deepen the paints color.

I`d wash the area first, then reapply Z1 and either Z2 or Z5, or just use ZFX if you have that. Then after you`re finished, if it still looks different, your car may benefit from using one application of a light paint cleaner then reZainoing the car.

My $.02....

:)

pagerart
08-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks! You may be right. There are a few other spots I`d like to tackle, so I`m going to give this a try over the weekend and report back :)