PDA

View Full Version : Am i doing this wrong?

Pages : [1] 2 3

zesty-man
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
hey....... im almost positive that im doing this correctly.. this was EX-P applied with a mf applicator. what are your techniquies to applying wax/sealent??? pics would help :)

Intel486
07-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Looks alright, thicker than I apply it.

Edit: I also apply it all in the same direction so if I get scratches, then I know where it came from.

awd330
07-19-2004, 08:17 AM
That looks like way too much product. Try using about half the amount. You should just barely be able to see the product on the surface as you apply it. Also, try going over each section 2-3 times with the applicator to make sure you don`t miss any spots. I generally work the hood in front to back motions, never side to side. EX-P also requires a damp applicator.

Woob
07-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Why aren`t you using a PC? I know coverage and application is different, but use that baby! :-p

zesty-man
07-19-2004, 01:24 PM
ooooopsss.... now i figure out that i need a damp applicator..... whats the difference between back and forth motions vs side to side?

as for PC usage, i figured i wanted to try this one by hand.....

optik
07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by zesty-man
[B]whats the difference between back and forth motions vs side to side?[B]

Go with the flow. The direction the wind goes over the car. As to why...I can`t think of a really good reason? I wash that way too.

zesty-man
07-19-2004, 10:46 PM
oic. so i should be going up and down???? that seems sorta weird. should i make one really long strip, or should i just go panels at a time?

awd330
07-19-2004, 10:58 PM
whats the difference between back and forth motions vs side to side?
Hoods often have creases/curves molded into the sheetmetal running from the nose to the windshield cowl. It`s easier to maintain smooth hand motions when going with the creases rather than across them.

awd330
07-19-2004, 11:05 PM
oic. so i should be going up and down???? that seems sorta weird. should i make one really long strip, or should i just go panels at a time?
When applying by hand, try to keep it to one panel at a time (color between the lines, so to speak). If you apply from one panel directly to another, product will get in between the seams and you will need to spend time cleaning that up. That`s one reason Poorboy`s PVA applicators are so popular. They have very precisely cut edges which enable you to easily control the spread of product.

zesty-man
07-20-2004, 12:03 AM
here, i was just applying some nattys with the PVA applicator, and tell me if it looks better. i was trying to focus on keeping it thin and consistnat, but it isnt as easy as it looks. i keep getting spots that dont have wax on them. the more i try to put the wax on, the more places that arent covered with wax.

zesty-man
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
heres another one. one thing that i notice about the PVA applicator is that i always get chunks at the end of panels. again, im probably doing this all wrong.......

zesty-man
07-20-2004, 12:05 AM
heres the last one for now. i was having problems with this one.....

joseph dcruz
07-20-2004, 09:24 AM
hi
let the applicator be wet
let the sealent dry to a haze
and wipe it out with a softest pad that you can lay your hands on.
chech out my web site www.mullethunters.com

joe

optik
07-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by joseph dcruz
chech out my web site www.saraautocare.com

Glad your here and WELCOME Joe! You are one lucky and smart guy to start a detailing shop in Dubai. My cousin has lived there for 7 years now. I`ll have to see if he has gone to check your shop out.

Zesty - it looks ok to me. Its like mowing a lawn :)

Dalton
07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I always apply my first layer of EX-P with a PC. Thin even coat. 2nd and 3rd layers are by hand but the finish is sooo slick it goes on and comes off easy.