PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Z and other things.

scoop
08-14-2002, 01:13 AM
Hiya. Today I found out a local shop Dallas Mustang stocked zaino so i bought some. a lil more expensive then I thought

I got Z1 Polish Lok, Z2 Polish, Z6 The Swirl Filler, The Quik Detailer and the car wash. for like 60 bucks or so.. they didn`t have ZFX..

I applied it and it was pretty cool. I just don`t like how long it takes to dry. I kind of like to know.. how does ZFX work exactly... and any1 kno any other zaino distributors in dallas or should i just order from the website.

I have S100 on my Black Accord right now.. it looks fabulous its only a week or two old. SHould I strip it with dawn and do Zaino and then top it with S100 would that look good or be good? or should i just leave just zaino on. I`m a bit confused cause every1 seems to do something different.. I also think i need a porter cable.. used way too much Z1 and Z2

chevyguy28
08-14-2002, 01:21 AM
In a nut shell, you add ZFX to small quantities of Zaino and the polish will dry in about 20 minutes. You no longer need Z-1 with it, but some still like to use it instead.

You are supposed to dawn then use Zaino. Someone had mentioned that topping Zaino with carnauba negated the properties of both Zaino and the wax, so....I would stick with either S100 alone or Zaino alone.

Hope that cleared everything up, if not, ask more questions :)

ultrajim49
08-14-2002, 01:52 AM
What Justin said,

plus

Before using a PC to apply Z , I would concentrate on learning to apply it with their applicator real thin in order to understrand how Z works.

In my experience the less you use of Z (the more coats you get out of an ounce: on an average car 3 coats per ounce(some get more)) the better.Although not difficult , it takes a few coats to get the hang of it , most first users (including me) are afraid they didn`t apply enough, if you apply it too thick it`s a waste of product and could be hard to remove.

that said,

you went for the Z1

then there is a dry - and cure time for the Z2 & 5 at least 1 hour, some let it dry overnight, some pull the car in the sun,

whatever you choose : the longer the better, and the good news is that a few days after buffing out the last coat it seems to get better , kind of like it continues to harden(?) cure ,...

Only apply Z1 with the first coat and then after about six months.

ZFX replaces Z1, with the great benefit that you have no cure - and drying time : by the time you applied the whole car the part where you started is ready to be buffed off.

And you can apply 3 coats in one day.

60 bucks?

That was cheap, I had that same first order, costed me 160bucks(bank transfer costs and shipping costs included)

Greetings,

Christiaan

DCT
08-14-2002, 05:29 AM
AzN Retribution,

I agree with what`s been said. First, concentrate on getting thin (but complete) coats of Zaino. I like to moisten my foam applicator pad with some Z6/distilled water prior to application, and a few times during. Once the pad gets some Z2 in it, it will spread quite easily. It`s hard to see the "Z" going on, so you have to trust your judement.......... if you wiped the applicator over an area, it`s there........... don`t go over the area 3 or 4 times! Putting on too much doesn`t hurt, it just takes longer (sometimes much longer) to dry, and is a waste of the product.

As for the Accord with the S100........... if you`re going to try Zaino on it, I would go with several coats of Zanio rather than a topper of S100 after a coat of Zaino. It`s hard to beat the shine of the S100. The Zaino will look great too, just different than the S100. The "Z" will also last a lot longer than the S100.

If you go with the "Z" on the Accord, make sure your strip the S100 first!

imported_Aurora40
08-14-2002, 07:23 AM
Do you all use terry-cloth towels to remove it? I`ve recently started using MF towels, and I`m not sure I could go back. The MF`s just feel like they are safer. Also, wouldn`t it be easier to apply less with a PC? I always find I apply too much when I do it by hand because I get nervous when I feel the pad drag. This doesn`t happen with a PC for me. Thanks!

scoop
08-14-2002, 07:25 AM
Ooo okie.. thanks for the advice! I appreciate it greatly

Imma try that applicator technique but it rained today :(

no detailing for me. darn it. I did smell the Zainos tuff.

it smells fruity. but then again don`t most waxes smell fruity?

and so no carnauba toppers on Z cause it messes up both..

Hmm thats kewl. if it stops raining. I`ll dry my car. take pics of it with S100 then strip it and put on zaino and take pics of that. and see how different it looks.

imported_memnuts
08-14-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Do you all use terry-cloth towels to remove it? I`ve recently started using MF towels, and I`m not sure I could go back. The MF`s just feel like they are safer. Also, wouldn`t it be easier to apply less with a PC? I always find I apply too much when I do it by hand because I get nervous when I feel the pad drag. This doesn`t happen with a PC for me. Thanks!

I find that 100% USA cotton towels work the best for initial removal of Zaino. This is because of the higher saturation levels inherited by their plushness. A high quality clean cotton towel wiill not harm a car`s finish. Final buff and QD is great with MF.

I find that Zaino is so easy to apply after perfecting the technique of thin coating that PC usages/ hand application to tight areas is just not worth the set-up time. Aurora40, sad to say that the reason you do not feel the drag with the PC is that it is just not transmitted back because of the PC`s ability to overcome the surface resistance even at its lowest setting.

All-in-all either method will work with equal results. It is beneficial to have a PC for the repair of the eventual swirl/marring that will occur.

AzN Retribution,

I tried in the past topping Zaino with P21S (S100) and meq #26. The results were not favorable ( hazying ). Some here have had luck with using a carnuaba topper. Experiment... there are no set hard and fast rules, but realize the hazards involved ( breakdown of Zaino, increases dust attraction, color changes (tinting), ridicule , etc.).

Welcome the Autopia.:wavey

eboller
08-14-2002, 08:08 AM

I use Meguiar`s Ultimate Wipes (Microfiber) to remove it. They work great and would never use cotton over them.

I think most people are able to apply a lot less with a PC. What do you use to apply it when you do it by hand though? Most hand appliers use a foam applicator since it seems to apply a thinner coat. I use the Viking Foam Applicator.

Eric

imported_Aurora40
08-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Aurora40, sad to say that the reason you do not feel the drag with the PC is that it is just not transmitted back because of the PC`s ability to overcome the surface resistance even at its lowest setting.

Yeah, I know that`s why. But it does mean I use less... :) I use foam applicators for hand application. I guess I just need to get more comfortable with that dragging. When it drags, I can still see that it`s putting down product. It isn`t like it`s skipping across the paint or anything. But for some reason, that slight resistance always bothers me.

Thanks all for the replies! :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
08-14-2002, 11:31 AM

But for some reason, that slight resistance always bothers me.

Thanks all for the replies! :xyxthumbs

I truely understand.:) We are sooo careful to protect our finishes from self inflected harm. :xyxthumbs