PDA

View Full Version : My secrets for detailing (long post for newbies)

Detailing NY
08-13-2002, 08:53 PM
It has been a while since i posted some help for all the newbies.

This post should help all the newbies out from start to finish. This is just the way i detail, everyone has there own system they use but i find this to be the most effective way.

start detailing the interior first.

The reason i detail the interior first is this takes the longest. Yes customers care what the outside looks like, but someone who spends a lot of time on the road wants the inside to look just as good. You need to take your time and get into every corner of the vehicle. start with cleaning the headliner, then the dash, then the console, then the door trims, then the seats and last the carpet. the reason for the carpet being last is if you do it first where will you keep your dirty feet once you clean the carpet. even if you use paper mats dirt can still get on the carpet after it is cleaned. (dont forget the door jams!)

now it is time for the exterior

first we start with cleaning the wheels, i do this first to prevent any back splatter from wheel dirt getting on the paint. once this is done start with the roof and then wash all windows. then do the hood & trunk. hose all off and then clean the fenders and doors. This keeps you cleaning the highest point of the car first and keeping dirt from getting on a clean part. dont dry the car yet if you are going to clay it. keep the car wet and clay the vehicle. you can use a QD or clean soapy water. once the vehicle is clayed hose off and dry the vehicle.

now use your tire dressing on the tires. this would be the best time to use it, so by the time the customer comes to pick up the car the dressing is dry and you will not have any back splatter on the car.

walk around the vehicle and check for any scratches or scuff marks that need to be rubbed out. use the lightest abrasive first and check the results, if needed move to something stronger. now you can polish & wax the car. once all this is done you can clean the outside of the windows. The reason i clean the windows last is i need something to lean on and i wont touch the car after i polished & waxed it.

i dont think i left anything out but i am sure my friends here at autopia will be able to add some thoughts and some secrects to help all the newbies out.

NYD:wavey

C. Charles Hahn
08-13-2002, 09:01 PM
excellent post as always, NYD! One thing also to remember - you might want to put a light dressing on any plastic exterior trim before waxing, as this will prevent staining from the wax, and make residue easier to remove.

Jngrbrdman
08-13-2002, 10:17 PM
Another good reason to do the interior first is because the dust caused by shaking out your mats and such can make your freshly detailed exterior dusty in a heartbeat. Always good to avoid that.

BumpersPlus2
08-14-2002, 12:06 AM
I also do the interior first, so that it will surely be dry when the client picks it up. Jason

Hans Lee
08-14-2002, 09:53 AM
NY Detailer:

Great post. Just one question--you mention not drying the car if you are going to clay. Do you worry about hard water marks? I have pretty hard water here outside Philly, so would I have any trouble allowing the water to stay on the car during the time it takes to clay it? Would hitting the surfaces with a QD help prevent any problems?

Thanks--Adenn

Detailing NY
08-14-2002, 04:45 PM
i dont think you will have a problem with hard water. you can use some qd if you see water spots, but once you are done claying you can hose off again or rewash if you want to.

NYD

Pats300zx
08-14-2002, 05:48 PM
Great post....

rstype
08-14-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

Great post....

Agreed... I used to do the same with claying, but I found out that it makes it and break down easily. Still, it saves time and doesn`t leave residue.

TheOzzfather
08-14-2002, 06:21 PM
:eek:

2wheelsx2
08-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Look in the acronyms page:

Acronyms (http://autopia.ws/acronyms.php)

It`s in the side bar of the home page.

peiqinglong
08-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 03MaximaSE_TE

:eek:

Quick detailer