PDA

View Full Version : Best store-bought tire dressing?

Pages : [1] 2

kreativ
08-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Any recommendations for tire dressing that can be purchased at auto parts stores such as Kragen and Pep Boys?

Preferably one in gel/liquid form with a high gloss finish, lasts for a decent amount of time, and doesn`t have those certain chemicals that harm the tire.

And secondly, what is your preferred applicator for tire dressing? Will a kitchen sponge do?

imported_BretFraz
08-13-2002, 06:42 PM
IMO, the two best products available in stores are Vinylex and Eagle One Interior-Exterior Protectant. Vinylex is available at most auto parts stores. E1 stuff is harder to find but I get mine at KMart.

The shiny stuff has silicone oils in it which damage tires. So you`ll have to give up the high gloss look and go with something kinda satiny. Which is a good thing as that super shiny look is totally fake.

You might want to try Meguiar`s Endurance Tire Gel for something durable.

imported_ronkh
08-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by kreativ

Any recommendations for tire dressing that can be purchased at auto parts stores such as Kragen and Pep Boys?

Preferably one in gel/liquid form with a high gloss finish, lasts for a decent amount of time, and doesn`t have those certain chemicals that harm the tire.

And secondly, what is your preferred applicator for tire dressing? Will a kitchen sponge do?

I really like Meguiar`s Endurance. I use the regular stuff (not the high gloss) and apply it with a Eagle One tire swipe. The bottle comes with an applicator, which works fine too, but will wear out after 4-5 applications.

The Meguiar`s lasts for at least a couple of weeks and up to a month, depending on how often you wash and whether it has rained a lot. This is on a daily driver; I presume that it`d last longer on a car that`s garaged all the time.

A kitchen sponge would probably work, but a tire swipe would be easier (it is easier to grip, and the curve makes it easier to use less product per application).

DrKnowledge
08-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Love Meguiars regular. I have use their high gloss but it slings off the tire all over the body panels of the car. I emailed them about this and they responded right away and said they were aware of this and that was just one of the drawbacks of the product. Never had any problems with the regular.

NattyBumppo
08-13-2002, 07:50 PM
Get ready folks, here comes that nut again with the AA stuff! I almost can`t believe it myself but I`ve been using AA Tire Foam for the last couple of months and love it:up . No slinging off onto body panels, last 2-3 weeks and is available everywhere. The higher gloss one is the AA Detailer`s Advantage. Now for the bad points; 1) it`s tough not to get some on the rims unless you hold something over the rim (I use a cutout piece of cardboard) and 2) it will stain asphalt (so I spray the tires in the street after everything else is done).

If you want to take a shot with $5.00 pick up a can at any Wally World and you just may be surprised like I was.

jayder456
08-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by kreativ

I used to use the ArmorAll spray foam, and it is pretty convenient to use (the inevitable overspray on wheels is quick to wipe off). But I think the AA products contain petroleum distillates - stuff that folks here say are not good for tires over the long run. Somebody please correct me if I`m wrong.....

Cheers.

Antym15
08-13-2002, 10:56 PM
I agree...

Meguiar`s Endurance is very good. It doesn`t turn my tires brown.

And it has a nice satin finish to it. You can leave more on for a glossier look if you wanted to, just don`t wipe off as hard. You just leave it on for 10 mins. or so and then wipe. It`s very sticky, and a PIA to clean off every few weeks. I usually put it on once every two weeks... it could go 3 weeks, or possibly 4, but after 4 it looses it`s satin finish. The smell is pleasant too.

I suggest this product for people who like a satin finish, not matte, and not wet like Armor All. A word of caution though, if you leave too much of it on while trying to get a wet look it will just attract gobs of dirt & dust. You really need to rub it in. Sometimes I have to rub twice after driving a little bit, it will start to sling itself on the tires, but NOT the car.. heavens no... by “sling†I mean it sort of spreads in streaks... getting those annoing streak marks. But this ussually only happens if I wasn`t ardent to remove it all the first time.

Amor All guys? Are you serious? That stuff just turns your tires brown (oxidizing) and only lasts a little while... plus I don`t care for the wet look myself, no offense. Meg`s also has Gold Class Vinyl and Rubber Protectant, if you want that wet look without damaging your tires.

BoxsterCharlie
08-14-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by DrKnowledge

I emailed them about this and they responded right away and said they were aware of this and that was just one of the drawbacks of the product.

That`s pretty classy of Megiuars to acknowledge the problem.

I love their regular Endurance product (the only Meguiars product I still use), and I second the posts in strongly discouraging the use of Armor-all.

-Charlie

NattyBumppo
08-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by masterofreality

Amor All guys? Are you serious? That stuff just turns your tires brown (oxidizing) and only lasts a little while... plus I don`t care for the wet look myself, no offense. Meg`s also has Gold Class Vinyl and Rubber Protectant, if you want that wet look without damaging your tires.

No offense taken...that`s why we`re here, to give opinions, learn from others, and hopefully help out others in the process.

Like I said, I was pretty amazed at how well the AA Foam performs. It really does last 2-3 weeks on my non-garaged, daily driver and after a few months, no signs of ill effects on the tires. I still clean the tires with every wash and have tried a couple of other products since starting with the AA Foam but I keep going back. I`m pretty sure the problem with the original AA turning tires brown was corrected years ago (original AA products contained a fair amount of alcohol if I remember correctly). Maybe someone else can validate or refute that.

As for petroleum distallates...have you ever checked the Meg`s Endurance Tire Gel? Plenty of vinyl and rubber protectants contain some form of petroleum distillate, even the water based ones.

I know it goes against the Autopia grain but until I find one that lasts longer, doesn`t sling off and is as easy to use, I`ll stick with the AA Foam.

RonPirate
08-14-2002, 07:57 AM
I use Meg`s Endurance high gloss Gel . Does the job well.

Pats300zx
08-14-2002, 07:59 AM
I really don`t like the Meguiars Endurance. To me it seems very greasy and oily and is kind of a pain. I really like the Eagle One Wet Tire shine. It seems to be easy to apply and doesn`t slip.

I use it with a Detailer Choice tire dressing app that has a handle on it. Works great... :up

imported_memnuts
08-14-2002, 08:11 AM
Take a look at the E-1 tire dressing. The last time I brought some tire swipes a free sample of this dressing was in the package. It is high sheen but not over-glossy. Does it contain harmful petroleum distillates :nixweiss . I am sure that I will wear the tires out before any serious harm is noted. I also treat my tires once a month to a deep cleaning and coat of 303 Aerospcae protectant prior to topping with my tire dressing of choice.

I have many different brands and types of tire dressing in my detailing area. Experiement. Some days you feel like a nut ( super glossy), some days you don`t ( satin finish):wavey

NattyBumppo
08-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Some days you feel like a nut ( super glossy), some days you don`t ( satin finish):wavey

LOL...oh great, now I`m going to be singing that Mounds/Almond joy jingle all day.

Viking
08-14-2002, 08:27 AM
Hey...do you guys find that when you go to clean your tires that all of that gel/spray ends up on the brush? I use black magic gel and have been pretty happy with it but have found that it sticks to all of my brushes and will not come off.......:nixweiss

imported_Intermezzo
08-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

IMO, the two best products available in stores are Vinylex and Eagle One Interior-Exterior Protectant. Vinylex is available at most auto parts stores. E1 stuff is harder to find but I get mine at KMart.

The shiny stuff has silicone oils in it which damage tires. So you`ll have to give up the high gloss look and go with something kinda satiny. Which is a good thing as that super shiny look is totally fake.

You might want to try Meguiar`s Endurance Tire Gel for something durable.

I second what Bretfraz said. I`d stick with products containing the least amount of solvent based silicone like Vinylex and E1 Protectant.

Viking, I had the same problem when using E1 Wet Tire Shine. I think this will happen with any solvent based tire dressing if you don`t use globs of tire-cleaner.