PDA

View Full Version : Windshield polishing?

blackntan
08-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, quick question... The place that painted my car seems to have scratched my windshield a bit. Nothing bad, but it has the marks like sandpaper or the DA sander was drug across it. There are microscratches that are really starting to affect how I see through the windshield, and are quite annoying when the sun reflects off of them..

How do I polish this out?? Any product recommendations? I don`t want to complain at the shop because they really helped me out, and I think I can take care of this myself.

Thanks again!

Jared

Spork
08-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Groits has a line of glass polish they are best use with a Porter Cable, but can be used by hand. I have not tried it. I would take it back to the shop and have them replace the windshield. I think polish will only be a temporary solution.

Lemonxxs
08-13-2002, 11:39 AM
West wood has glass polishes....

Do a search for glass polish and a few threads should show up that may help....

Most glass scratches cannot be removed without ruining the optics of the glass...

Check the older threads in your search..

HTH

blackntan
08-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Guys,

thanks for the info. The scratches aren`t deep enough to feel by hand, just deep enough to see I guess... I`ll try these polishes. How do I apply them? Hand? Machine? Does it matter??

Thanks again!

Lemonxxs
08-13-2002, 01:36 PM
West wood can supply you a tool to hook into your drill....

Most you can do by hand or orbital....

Blackntan Check your PMS

BradE
08-13-2002, 01:41 PM
For most scratch removal on glass a random orbital is not going to do the trick. You will probably need to use a rotary buffer, then you must be very careful or you will distort the glass.

PWR
08-13-2002, 02:40 PM
"Eastwood Tools" have two types of window polishing kits. The one you would need is called "GLASS POLISHING KIT PRO". I`ve pasted the product info. below.

This kit can be used to clear off years of wiper haze from your windshield and save hundreds of dollars in replacement costs. Ideal for hard-to-find windshields on older cars. Try this test: Run your fingernail over the damaged area on your windshield. If nail doesn`t catch this kit will work. If your nail does catch try the Deep Scratch Kit (40030). Mark the damaged area mix the special Glass Polishing Compound with water, attach polishing buff to your drill or low speed polisher (1,500 rpm), and start polishing! Includes: 1/4 adapter, 1 lb Glass Polishing Compound, 2 7/8" x 1"

As you can see, it needs a polisher or drill to work properly. I personally wouldn`t use a drill. It`s propbaly cheaper to rent a polisher. This kit goes for $34.00 (US)

Here`s the URL for the polishing kit.

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe

Cheers

vroddad
08-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Glass polishing is more more things you can feel, not see. For scratches you might look into jewler`s rouge?